Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Braveda Humi Packets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

I took all the humidity devices out a couple of months ago and it has been sitting at 65% ever since. I wanted to see if I could get it down to 60%-62% so now it is kind of an experiment. We'll see how it goes.

Keep an eye on Craigs list in your area they come up from time to time and you can occasionally get one for a song.

Pete

If you want to get it down further a suggestion would be to use kitty litter. The silica gel type and make sure they are unsented like Exquisicat or Mimi litter. It doesn't cost much and can be conditioned to what ever RH you want. It appears you've got plenty of room in the wineador. I put some at the top, middle and bottom.

To lower the RH you can put the crystals you're going to use in a bowl and microwave them to remove moisture. For example, two cups of crystals at 60 seconds on high setting. Take them out and stir them with a spoon to help release the moisture. Repeat several times until no more steam is being released. Let cool and place them in the wineador on a flat open pan getting as much exposure to the air as possible.

I've used this method for years now and it works perfectly and is much cheaper than Boveda packs or heartfelt beads.

DIY Pete

If you want to get it down further a suggestion would be to use kitty litter. The silica gel type and make sure they are unsented like Exquisicat or Mimi litter. It doesn't cost much and can be conditioned to what ever RH you want. It appears you've got plenty of room in the wineador. I put some at the top, middle and bottom.

To lower the RH you can put the crystals you're going to use in a bowl and microwave them to remove moisture. For example, two cups of crystals at 60 seconds on high setting. Take them out and stir them with a spoon to help release the moisture. Repeat several times until no more steam is being released. Let cool and place them in the wineador on a flat open pan getting as much exposure to the air as possible.

I've used this method for years now and it works perfectly and is much cheaper than Boveda packs or heartfelt beads.

I didn't think of that as a way to lower the RH but it makes sense. I need to make a catch pan with beads for the condensate that forms on the cooling unit and runs to the bottom of the cooler. After that is done I will play around with micro managing the RH down a few points.

Pete

Gdaddy

I didn't think of that as a way to lower the RH but it makes sense. I need to make a catch pan with beads for the condensate that forms on the cooling unit and runs to the bottom of the cooler. After that is done I will play around with micro managing the RH down a few points.

Pete

I would wonder why you have condensation forming. Is it a thermoelectric unit? I keep mine @66 degrees(as high as it will go)and have never had any condensation form. Is your basement cool enough so you could unplug it ?

DIY Pete

I would wonder why you have condensation forming. Is it a thermoelectric unit? I keep mine @66 degrees(as high as it will go)and have never had any condensation form. Is your basement cool enough so you could unplug it ?

It is a thermoelectric unit. I used to keep it upstairs, we don't run the AC much only during the hottest part of the summer, and I got a fair bit of condensation. Last summer it was in the basement and I only got a little bit once but I would rather not have water sit in the bottom of the cooler and try to mold.

Pete

MadFarmer

I know this is an old thread, but I tried the unscented diaper test. With 1/2oz of water, and a pill sized desiccant the humidity has stabilized at 72%. It took 6 weeks, may have taken less time if I hadn't fussed with it as much as I did.

Patriotguy

I know this is an old thread, but I tried the unscented diaper test. With 1/2oz of water, and a pill sized desiccant the humidity has stabilized at 72%. It took 6 weeks, may have taken less time if I hadn't fussed with it as much as I did.
seems like a survivalist method, if the world ends at least your cigars will be moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.