Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Jacob's 2015 growlog (cigarette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargynko

Hello guys,

As many of you I purchased seeds from NWT tobacco. I live in Slovakia and seeds arrived in about one week which surprised me. Last year I grew some unknow virginia type. It was my first year growing. This year I decided that I want to know what am I actually growing so it was the reason for ordering from NWT. This year's goal is similar to the last one - grow great tobacco for making tasty cigarette blend.

I have no personal experiences with any of the following varietes. I picked strains that appeared most frequently on forums. If you have personal experiences with particular strain(s), please feel free to express yourself here I will appreciate every opinion on what I've picked for this season.

Flue cured:
-Big Gem
-Cherry red

Burley:
-KY 15
-TN 90LC
-Burley 21

Maryland:
-MD 609

Oriental:
-Black Sea Samsun
-Bursa
-Izmir Ozbas

bonehead

i grew big gem and black sea samsun and they both grew good and made excellent cigarettes. i grew different kinds of burley but after a couple of years i have enough for a while because i only use around 10% burley in my blends. the first year i grew way to much burley and not enough flue cured. i am still learning but the burley is ageing nicely. last year i grew mostly african red and yenidje with a little yellow twisted bud and silver river for a test. with so many to try i only grew a couple of varietys more than once.

DGBAMA

That is a nicely rounded selection. If weather and bugs cooperate you will have some great smokes in your future.

If you like a full flavor cigarette, I would suggest you add a Dark Air variety to your grow. My personal favorite is Black Mammoth.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Of the varieties on your list I prefer the 401 Cherry Red, TN 90, Burley 21, Maryland 609, Izmir Ozbas. I prefer the Bursa in a pipe instead of in a cigarette. It's a little spicy for my preference in a cigarette. Like DGBAMA, I really like a Dark Air in my cigarette blend. Of the 17 dark varieties that I grew last year, I will regrow VA 355.

My full flavor cigarette blend is 40% flue cure, 20% TN 90, 20% Maryland 609, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir Ozbas. It is smooth in the mouth and on the tongue, but with a nice nicotine throat hit. Not at all harsh.

gargynko

Only tobacco I smoke now is DRUM Original that I am rolling on my own. But I am not sure what kind of tobacco is in. I heard something like Flue Cured : Kentucky 1:1.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I agree..you only need a couple of the burley plants..me myself I don't grow burley...too strong for my cigg blending,.

gargynko

Interesting. I always though that burley is fairly mild in cigarette blend. I am able to plant about 200 plants and I though that at least 80 will be burley. So how many burley plants would you advise me to grow? (200-215 is the limit for my tobacco field)

bonehead

Interesting. I always though that burley is fairly mild in cigarette blend. I am able to plant about 200 plants and I though that at least 80 will be burley. So how many burley plants would you advise me to grow? (200-215 is the limit for my tobacco field)
that depends on how strong the cigarettes you used to like best were. i go with around 10% burley and that is enough for me. some people toast their burley to make it smoother but i don't. the longer you age burley the better it gets. i use around 70% flue cured, 10% burley and 20 % oriental. that makes a light to medium strength cigarette to my taste. you have to figure out what you need then evolve your grow every year. if you grow to much of anything it will only get better with time.

gargynko

True thoughs. I just need some rational pattern how to spread 200-215 plants over 9 varietes(or strains?) I have.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
proablly 20 plants out of 200 is what id grow in burley

gargynko

Thank you for your advice. I have serious troubles keeping my cigarettes lit? Why is it so? I am talking about tobacco from my last years grow.

leverhead

... I have serious troubles keeping my cigarettes lit? Why is it so? I am talking about tobacco from my last years grow.

What color is the ash? For me, in some blends that I've made, tobacco that needs more age will leave black or dark spots on the ash. The poor combustion cools off the cherry, with high humidity and a little wind, the cigarette can go out. Too much thick leaf in a blend can do it also, keep the different stalk positions of what you grow separate and use them up evenly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you for your advice. I have serious troubles keeping my cigarettes lit? Why is it so? I am talking about tobacco from my last years grow.

Chlorine can cause poor burning. Did you irrigate with chlorinated water?

DonH

I had the opposite problem when I put down a lot of wood ash on the soil two years ago. Last year I didn't and it burns much slower. Ashes in the soil make the tobacco burn much faster. It's good fertilizer-- it also raises the pH of the soil so too much is not good, but you may want to add some to make it burn faster.

gargynko

I will take your avice on account. I have pretty good source of wooden ash. I will also order chlorine-less fertilizer this year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i have the exqact ingrediants for what fertilizer you need,

its 6-6-18

calcium 4%
magnesium 4%
sulfur 10%
boron .50%
iron .50%
magneese .30%
zinc.10%
chlorine 3%

and that my friend is straight off a delivery ticket i took to a bacca farm... and i delivered to many bacca farms and the #'s were the same..

if you can get your hands on that '' custom blend'' then you'll be set...

a member on here, '' gfinnery'' drives a semi all over the states. and the next time he comes into florida, i got 100 lbs. of this stuff to give him, for his grow,

i got a couple of hundreds of lbs. of this from last year..

Status
Not open for further replies.