Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to Send Out a Nice Packet of Tobacco Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan on selling seed packets, or distribute seed packets on a frequent basis, you can improvise a measuring tool to scoop out ~100 seeds. The problem I found with most improvised measures is that they tend to be made of materials that can hold an electrostatic charge. This means that a few seeds from one variety can easily cling to the measure, when moving on to the next variety. Bad.

small_spoons.JPG

Since I make cheeses from time to time, I purchased a tiny set of measuring spoons. They are labeled with meaningless measures, such as "smidgen." I measured the tiniest one, which came out to about 1/20 teaspoon. (That's about the right amount of mesophilic culture to add for a 2 pound cheese.)

2/3 of this tiny spoon measures a bit over 100 tobacco seeds of N. tabacum--probably 30-50 of N. rustica. When I fill a seed packet, I simply scoop a level measure of this tiny spoon, and know that it's between 150 and 200 seeds. Because it's made of stainless steel, there's no electrostatic charge on the surface, so no sleeper seeds remain on it.

I purchased this at http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/299-Mini-Measuring-Spoon-Set.html for ~$6, though you may find them elsewhere for less.

Plan B is to buy a $300 digital analytic scale, and weigh out between 0.01 and 0.02 grams to have 100+ seeds.

All bets are off (count-wise) if you have much debris mixed with the seed. Debris should be avoided anyway, since it is capable of carrying viruses, like TMV, which are not transmitted in pure seed.

For quickly removing nearly all debris, as well as under-size seeds, use two screens (filters). N. tabacum seeds are about 500 microns. You place a 400 micron filter onto a 5 gallon bucket (it rests on the rim), nest a 600 micron filter on top of that, then crush the dried pods over the assembly. After a few good shakes, discard what's on top (trapped by the 600 micron filter), SAVE what's held in the 400 micron filter, and discard whatever has made it into the bottom of the bucket. The finished seed looks like clean, ground coffee.

10869p.jpg

The filters are only $4.31 each, and available from US Plastics Corp.
400 micron: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37445
600 micron: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37442

Each time I've finished using the filters for a particular variety, I take the bucket and filters outside, and forcefully hose them clean with the garden hose. By holding the white polyethylene filter up to the sky, you can see if there are any remaining seeds trapped in the mesh. The filters should be thoroughly dried before using them again.

The packets. I use the tiny 2"x4" ziplock bags that are available in the handicraft (bead jewelry) section of Walmart, inserted into a 2-1/2"x4-1/2" paper envelope, available at office supply stores. They can be nicely labeled with Avery 55463 laser labels, which are 2"x4" "shipping labels."

If you place a single packet of seed into an ordinary letter envelope, it will be run through the USPS automated cancellation machine, and some of the seed will be crushed, leaving tiny oily smears on the walls of the ziplock. To avoid this, you can place it into a bubble-padded envelope, or simply insert a cut-to-size rectangle of fine bubble-wrap into the envelope. First class postage on a Jiffy-mailer runs between $1.50 and $1.80.

There are no USPS restrictions on mailing seeds within the US. If you intend to send seed to another country (or into the US from outside), you may need a certificate of sanitation from the local Ag Extension agent. Most countries' customs agents will not accept seed that includes plant debris--if they happen to look at it. Although it is often possible to get dirty seed past customs, it increases the very real risk of propagating troublesome plant diseases from one region of the world to another. [In the late 1800s, an American soil organism was carried into the wine regions of France and threatened to completely destroy the French wine industry. All infected French varieties were killed by the fungus. The only remedy was to import native American grape varieties--resistant to the fungus--to France, then graft the French wine varietals onto the American roots.]

I realize that everyone has his or her own method of sending off seed. The above is simply how I do it.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob, Nice informative article! Last time I checked Wal-Mart still sold the stainless steel tad-smidgen-dash spoons in the kitchen area. Any bee supply place will also sell the filters but US Plastics seems to have the best price.

BarG

Founding Member
Bob, Nice informative article! Last time I checked Wal-Mart still sold the stainless steel tad-smidgen-dash spoons in the kitchen area. Any bee supply place will also sell the filters but US Plastics seems to have the best price.

I'm looking to purchase some 1 1/2"- 2" cast acrylic rod in the next couple days, Us plastics had the most informative website describing the difference between the cast and extruded, which helped me determine which would be more suitable, I may invest a few extra dollars and order the filters also. There rods were maybe a little higher priced but I feel more confident in my purchase.

Tom_in_TN

Bob, got the US Plastics bookmarked from an earlier post of yours. Those filters will be handy to keep all the debris out and store or send out clean seeds.

BarG

Founding Member
I got the filters ordered today. I have 18 bags of seed to filter. Now just need to accuire all the other seed parafanalia.
Glasine bags and envelopes and the spoon.

Seanz

Bob I really enjoy reading your posts, apart from the tobacco knowledge it also enriches my vocab as I am constantly hunting out the scientific words you use:).
This one Has answered a question I was just thinking about, so thanks.
Sean

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I got the filters ordered today. I have 18 bags of seed to filter. Now just need to accuire all the other seed parafanalia.
Glasine bags and envelopes and the spoon.
You can make the spoon with a bit of #10 copper wire and a ball pein hammer. I did.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, Have you seen the price of copper lately? .... :D
Yeah, I sold a bunch of scrap I had recently. It's out of sight. The same trick would work just as well with Aluminum. I just tried it. I took a scrap of Al wire (#12 I think) and flattened the end a bit in the vise. Then I took a dab of grease and stuck a steel BB on the flat just long enough to BELT it with the hammer. It gave me a nice dimple and after a little polishing it works fine.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Either turn on the macro setting or take a high resolution photo from a little distance away and zoom in (gets good focus that way). Cool design, I might make me one! If I get this done soon I will post a seed count if no one else does.

BarG

Founding Member
Here's the pic. Now about that count, did you want level, rounded or heaping? (With my eyes you must be kidding.)

Oh Yeah, How do I take a good macro pic?

View attachment 1915

John

Works like a charm John. I used a wheel pin from an old tiller for the bowl. Heres a heaping spoonful.

Attachments

• 100_2177.jpg
    100_2177.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_2175.jpg
    100_2175.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 157

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
dunno the count but just by eyeing the picture i'd say its a perfect amount of seed to send. enough to ensure a seed crop for the recipient even with poor germination and not so much that you are supplying ebay.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I just made one...sorta, using 2 punch widths (oh well, worth a try) I got between 20-25 seeds each scoop. I used smaller gauge wire also

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Just a thought but I was wondering if a drop powder dispenser for reloading could be modified to drop about +/-100 seeds per handle pull? I don't have a drop dispenser, I have the electric dispenser with scales but I think it has a screw type dispenser that would damage the seed. A drop type could work though.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Scratch that last idea. They are only accurate to +/- 0.1 grain. Using Bob's 0.01 to 0.02 gram weight it wouldn't work. gr = g x 15.432

leverhead

Don't give up on it so quickly! Part of the accuracy limitation has to do with the powder itself. Smokeless powder varies from very small flakes, spheres and sticks to pretty large stuff, that compared to tobacco seed is very dense, 0.1 grains is a pretty small unit. A powder dribbler would be a useful tool if you wanted to weigh out small quantities.

BarG

Founding Member
Another use for a heavy gauge copper, aluminum wire. I have tried many things for trans planting emerging seedlings and after using a piece of wire flatened and beveled to a point on one end with the other end flatened and rounded to a scoop, removing any burrs, I transplanted a 72 cell tray of emerging seedlings with the quickest most ease ever and every single one has taken. I could pick and single out a seed start with minimal upset to surrounds and place in dimpled transplant tray, release and plant if roots showing with amazing ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.