Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

homemade single perfecto mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birage

I am not sure where I saw it, but one of the forum members had a pic of a single cigar mold using PVC pipe and hose clamps. I thought that could be a good idea, so I figured why not take that idea and try and put cone shape ends on the pipe to make a makeshift perfecto mold, so I got some two part epoxy putty and shaped the ends as best I could and figured, what the heck, it's not costing much to see what this could do. Anyway, I didn't consider the ends when I measured the PVC so my perfecto is about two inches longer than I wanted. Since I have never rolled/bunched a perfecto it was guess work. Bunching it is tricky, and so was rolling the wrapper, especially when you don't know what you are doing. I also used the entubado method for the first time and will be interested to see how it smokes. I used Aleman, Criollo ligero, and Mata Fina for the filler, and Pa oscuro for the binder and wrapper (simply because I didn't have any other wrapper leaf). If this PVC method works out it will be a stop gap until I can get a proper perfecto mold. I only had half inch pipe, but I think three quarter inch would work better. I know it doesn't look exactly like a perfecto, but it is as close as I can get for now.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• perfecto rolled.jpg
    perfecto rolled.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 185
  • perfecto.jpg
    perfecto.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 185

chuditch

So could use pvc pipe to make a panattela as well then or a half corona?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
its a excellent start. a person with a router, and some woodworking skills. could make a nice one

Birage

Basically, you can use any size PVC pipe you want, I only had half inch at the time, but if you can find a smaller pipe a panetela could be made. You could even attach ten pieces to a board and duplicate a typical mold without having to use hose clamps, it might get tricky, but the nice part about playing with this stuff is that it is inexpensive, and if you mess up, not a big deal in terms of money spent, just time and effort. I always have my eyes peeled for things that could make a mold, especially if it is a mold I don't have like the perfecto, pyramid, belicoso, etc. Thank you to the forum member who posted a picture of the PVC with the hoseclamps to give me the idea of modifying it.

Gdaddy

Basically, you can use any size PVC pipe you want, I only had half inch at the time, but if you can find a smaller pipe a panetela could be made. You could even attach ten pieces to a board and duplicate a typical mold without having to use hose clamps, it might get tricky, but the nice part about playing with this stuff is that it is inexpensive, and if you mess up, not a big deal in terms of money spent, just time and effort. I always have my eyes peeled for things that could make a mold, especially if it is a mold I don't have like the perfecto, pyramid, belicoso, etc. Thank you to the forum member who posted a picture of the PVC with the hoseclamps to give me the idea of modifying it.

I really like your modification. What glue did you use to attach the tip ends? PVC glue?

attachment.php

Attachments

• PVC.jpg
    PVC.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 156

Gdaddy

I don't know if you saw this one carved from Bass wood. Creates a very tricky cigar to roll but was a fun project.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cigar in mold.jpg
    cigar in mold.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 160

Birage

That really looks nice. Gdaddy, I am guessing that is your basswood carving? That is more in the style I was looking for. Did you come up with that yourself? Wow, I am not experienced in woodcarving , but I would definitely like to have one of them, if you did that yourself, good job! What I used on the PVC pipe ends was that two part epoxy putty you see advertised on TV, you cut off a piece of length, roll it in your hand to incorporate the two epoxies, then form it to the ends. You have a few minutes to work with it before it gets hard, but it takes 24 hrs to fully cure. Just form the putty around the PVC and you don't have to glue anything, it bonds itself to the plastic pipe.

RUNSUPRIVER

GDADDY- That Basswood Mold looks awesome! Do you have another photo? I've been thinking about carving a mold that way. Thanks!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Although I'm not a avid cigar smoker..I will make one sometimes..

I may try my luck at a mold....my cigars ain't very pretty to look at...perhaps a mold will help the looks of them

Status
Not open for further replies.