Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Calcium Nitrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

I was told yesterday by a supposedly tobacco fundy to give my tobacco a side dressing of Calcium Nitrate for aroma after topping them 3 weeks ago. I personally think its to late for any more fertilizers.
Any thoughts on that.
Ben

Matty

So close to harvest, it would not be a good idea to fertilize. It can cause the leaf to be hard to color cure and worse it would not be a good smoke at all.

Rickey60

So close to harvest, it would not be a good idea to fertilize. It can cause the leaf to be hard to color cure and worse it would not be a good smoke at all.
I agree with Matty, you are at the point in your grow that adding fertilizer now would cause problems. Added nitrogen in the leaf will keep it from curing right. After you finish your harvest you can add it to start a sucker crop to jump start.

Ben Brand

I will not do it! I've been growing tobacco for to many years to fall for thingd like that, and I told the youngster that as well. I think Cal Nit just before topping or just after is a good thing, but 3 weeks after topping is a no go!!

DGBAMA

My learned policy is no more ferts after bud heads start to appear.

I have had yellowing plants respond to soluble nitrogen within days, by turning DARK green, this would create a nightmare curing situation if you are only a couple weeks from harvest. Just my opinion

Brown Thumb

Heck, I would give it a try on a few plants to see what happens.
I always stopped side dressing after I bagged the heads also.
I used Calcium nitrate last year not totally impressed. But then again I want a Jolly Green Giant Baccy Plant.
BT

Rickey60

Don't do more than a few if you just have to see what will result from a late application of fertilizer. At this late in their growth cycle I don't think there would be any positive results.

POGreen

I would use it right after transplant , sprinkle bits and pieces round the plant , reckon it keeps snails and slugs away to.
Leaves would most probably point skyways after treatment.............

Status
Not open for further replies.