Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi from the UK :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLJayne

Hey guys,

I was referred here by Whole Leaf Tobacco. I've been smoking pipes for about 4 years, and last year I got into cigars - now I smoke them more than pipes! I very quickly got the idea of rolling my own, so after doing a bit of reading around I bought myself a blend kit and I'm starting to have a go. Here's the first attempt from last night :D!

I'm fairly pleased, but I need much more practice. I designed the mould myself and a friend 3D printed it for me. Though to be honest I think I need to get the hang of basic rolling before I start using it. I especially found bunching the leaves tricky, and capping needs work. I really like pigtail style caps, so that's what I'm going to try to learn.

So I'm going to check out some of the rolling vids posted here, and if I have more questions (which I'm sure I will) I'll post up in the rolling section! See you around guys :)!

Rickey60

Welcome! I am glad you joined us. I don't roll cigars but the pictures of your first cigar is impressive. There are a lot of cigar rollers here that will be glad to help you.

DGBAMA

Welcome. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:

leverhead

Welcome! 3D printed molds is an interesting thought. Once you give it some use, tell us more about the good and bad aspects.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Looking good there, don't worry about the looks of the cigar that will come with practice. I like the idea of 3d printing a mold, I'm slowly building a 3d printer myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Very nice first cigar. Your 3D modeling skill is commendable. I guess we've arrived at a time when a cigar mold can be emailed. Now, to 3D print a tobacco kiln...

If a 3D printed mold were made of a ceramic material, it could also serve to draw moisture from the bound bunch. Endless possibilities.

Bob

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco. 3D printed mold? nice! it would be great to see some detailed photos of that. Please?

rainmax

Founding Member
Welcome and hope to read from you again.
Until you use the glue on your table you'l be master roller. Keep up making good looking cigars.

BarG

Founding Member
Welcome! Old stogies never die, they just get ......?

I would say out with the old and in with the new , But, We know that will never happen. Good luck with the 3d because it will catch on.

charlie G.

Welcome to the site. It's always nice to see members joining from around the world. Remember when you first start not to worry to much about the cosmetics and work on a nice blend you really enjoy. Keep rolling and posting and enjoy.

WLJayne

Hi guys,

Lots of you interested in the cigar mold, so here are some pics. Here is a render of the CAD model:

jbDKtwN.jpg

Here is the 3D printed mold (along with a few sticks my friend was kind enough to put in the package ;))

NTARFu2.jpg

The resolution of the 3D print is very low. The machine is a really simple extruder system but it got the job done and the mold works, but if I wanted to spend some money I could get it printed at a much higher quality and then cast copies in resin. It would be a simple matter to sell those copies on ebay if anyone else is interested - big molds are quite pricey and these are ideal for the hobbyist I think. I deal with CAD and 3d printing in my day job, it often gets overhyped in the media but it's a really nifty tool that allows you to do some very cool stuff :).

Here are 3 that I rolled using the mold:

Jifswd9.jpg

I think I may make a 50x8 mold now as that would allow me to roll some bigger cigars which I think might be easier to start off with.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Will.

WLJayne

Welcome and thanks for joining the forum. Also, thank you very much for the plug you gave to the whole leaf site on reddit.

My pleasure :D! Did you get any web traffic out of it? I know John at Cigar Rolling Products got a bif spike that day hehe. There seemed to be quite a bit of interest :).

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Your mold is awesome! You did a great job. Thanks for posting the pictures. I also really like the size.

Last edited:

leverhead

Thank you for the pictures! When the resolution of the printers catches up with rendering, the world will be a different place. Easy perfecto molds.

WLJayne

Thank you for the pictures! When the resolution of the printers catches up with rendering, the world will be a different place. Easy perfecto molds.

Oh it already has for sure, it's just still very expensive to get large things printed at very thin layer thickness (i.e. smoother.) The printer mine was done on cost around $800, whereas the printer that one of my resin model kit's master parts were done on costs around $100,000. This model hovercraft is about 9cm long, just to give you an idea.

7_1024x1024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.