Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The results of smoking my first home roll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLJayne

Good evening chaps,

Well earlier I decided to strike a light and try one of my own cigars and smoked the first one I'd rolled. This one had rested for a couple of days, so lighting it was risky with it being so fresh but everything went better than expected. Here are some pics of of the smoke.

It cut very nicely, the cap was very sturdy and the draw turned out bang on for what I like. On the light it was a tad harsh, which concerned me a bit. However within about three minutes it mellowed right down into a very pleasant sweet earthiness. This was a light bodied medium strength stick throughout.

About a quarter in the flavour changed into very sweet slightly creamy floral tones, and it mellowed even more. I really abused it at some points drawing every couple of seconds, but it flat out refused to bite which was great! I think I can safely say that it was the most sweet and mellow smoke I have yet experienced, if there was ever a stick I'd smoke over desserts and liqueur coffee it would be this one.

The flavour stayed very consistent all the way down, developing into slightly nutty tones toward the end. The burn was good, I only had to touch up the wrapper once or twice to keep an even burn. I honestly was not expecting to enjoy it, but it turned out to be one of the most pleasant sticks I have smoked lately - it even passed the girlfriend test! She liked it, which is a first.

So I don't want to toot my horn any more about this, but I am seriously chuffed with how it turned out and it's hugely encouraging, I'll definitely be rolling more with this blend. I think most of the credit shoud go to Whole Leaf Tobacco. I'm convinced that the success of this is down to the outstanding quality of their leaf, because it sure as hell wasn't my noobie rolling!

Last edited by a moderator:

chuditch

well done my first cigar I rolled was not even mediocre. Not at all pretty and was hard to keep lit. I smoked it two days after rolling it and I think it was still a bit moist. Also this season I only have light cigarette tobacco an will be planting cigar tobacco the next season so that doesn't really help with flavour more a big cigarette but giving me practice.
Cigars two and three will get lit up this weekend after being allowed to age in the humidor for a whole week.
My concern at the moment is not so much the taste as only have the one type of tobacco but getting my rolling right that it looks presentable and it burns right and can draw through it comfortable.
So well done to you on managing what sounds like a perfect first roll your own.
Now if that was me on the law of averages the next 10 you try will fall apart, burn with the intensity of a forest fire or require the lungs of a blue whale to draw smoke through. Nature always seems to lure me into a seance of confidence I have got this then bam, failure after failure I hope your run of luck isnt like mine :)

WLJayne

Haha thanks man! Well I have three more in the humidor now, I shall see how they smoke in a while but they rolled ok. I need a bigger mould I think, rolling 40rg is tricky and 50 is a bit more comfortable with more room for error - or at least that's how it feels. I can definitely see why smoking moist would spoil it, I got away with being impatient this time but I think I may have just been lucky!

Gdaddy

That's a great looking cigar for your first one. Glad you enjoyed it. What blend did you use?

WLJayne

Yes indeed, a very good blend! I used about 75% seco and 25% ligero which I cut into strips as per Gdaddy's great tip. I need to start keeping track of the blend in a notebook now, I'd really like to repeat that blend as a sort of "degestif" cigar.

Top notch tobacco mates, I can see why most of the rolling posts on the internet referred me to WLT when I was researching :D!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That is a fine looking cigar for your first stick...

My first one was shaped like something that come out of a animals butt

WLJayne

That is a fine looking cigar for your first stick...

My first one was shaped like something that come out of a animals butt

Well this was the first one that got wrapped and put in the humi. The first three got bound and then broken up again and recycled into this one ;). Yes, totally hooked now!!

charlie G.

Great looking cigar. And as said your hooked as the rest of us are. I hope there's many more for you to enjoy.

since I've rolled my own cigars , I havent bought ANY from a catalog or store .

Same with me. I don't remember ever buying a better cigar then I can roll with WLT tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.