Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Silver River amazing pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxedenuf

The plants i grew this were amazing and ripened close to YTB but the seed head seemed to take forever to move along.After several frosts and freezes i decided to pluck the pods and kept em not expecting much.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday i checked on em and they were mushy junk but still held on to em.Over Christmas holiday they were all dried out with a green tint and opened up a pod and the seeds looked tinsierLOL than they really are and decided to test em nothin sprouted.

Now(last friday)i opened up a pod and noticed they were a bit bigger and retested and walla after only two days looks like all the seeds came through in 2 days.So, it's almost a year from plantin to ripe seed.

It seems to me the pod can take on a life of it's own after bein stripped from the mother even has a prebie.

Mark in wi

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Silver River must not be a northern crop. I planted mine in Maryland (latitude 40 degrees) . It budded in 75 days and the seed pods were ripe well before our first frost in late September/early October.

taxedenuf

What did you think of the smoke and curing?I love this variety even though it may be a hassle with the pods up here for me.I'm a cig guy though.

Mine set the bud around the same time.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm not a cigarette guy but I grew these for some ciggie friends I know because of the "hint of menthol". Out of the 4 people (5 if you count me) I gave cigarettes to none of them thought it had any hint of menthol at all. They all said it was a mild smoke though. In a pipe it' just so-so. I do not plan to grow it again. It's not a bad tobacco, it just doesn't stand out. As for curing, I stalk cured and primed it and it cured like all of the other 14 varieties I grew. The one thing I did like about it though was the number of leaves it yielded. I didn't count or weight them but I'll bet it was close to double the average tobacco plant yield.

Randy B

BarG

Founding Member
I just this morning tried some of jitterbugdudes silver river. I liked it, I didn't taste menthol but it was a mild, pleasant fairly unique taste. I,m adding to my list of seeds for this year along with silk leaf and guatmalen, and several other varietys.

taxedenuf

Hi Barg,
Has far has i know it's a primative variety from South America(Don maybe).I only grow and smoke varieties that don't need special treatment to be a good smoke.Never bothered with a chamber over the years and never will thanks to good ole ma nature.One can smoke it up after it's cured(air)

mark in wi

Status
Not open for further replies.