Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DGBAMA 2015 Grow.... 3rd season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Here it begins. Hardest part has been narrowing down the number of varieties, from available seed. I think I've got it down to 11 this year. Starting seeds next weekend.

14240251046410.jpg

ArizonaDave

Here it begins. Hardest part has been narrowing down the number of varieties, from available seed. I think I've got it down to 11 this year. Starting seeds next weekend.

attachment.php

Looking good DGBAMA, I hope you have a great season! I have some of your seeds you sent sprouting now! Looking forward to reading your blog.

DGBAMA

Flue cured varieties are still a tough choice. Haven't settled on any particular ones yet, otherwise I could meet my goal of 10 vars or less. Hopefully this year a couple will single themselves out as keepers for the permanent grow list.

DGBAMA

I dropped Izmir this year; although a great grower, orientals are a lot of work for the yield and for the amount I need, just plain easier to source it from WLT.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I dropped Izmir this year; although a great grower, orientals are a lot of work for the yield and for the amount I need, just plain easier to source it from WLT.

I'm leaning the same way, will be concentrating on Maryland and Dark Air this year. I've stock piled some WLT burley and flue cure. I'll probably grow some Izmir as it takes up so little space.

DGBAMA

I'm leaning the same way, will be concentrating on Maryland and Dark Air this year. I've stock piled some WLT burley and flue cure. I'll probably grow some Izmir as it takes up so little space.

Black mammoth was Stellar in the Dark Air category last year, let me know if you would like seed and a sample.

Too many other good orientals to grow, with Izmir being easily available.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im planting mine thick this year,,, 3 plants per row,,,

gotta rebuild my 70's era tiller,, i got a new motor but the bearings on the '' drive'' went out,

but i got plenty of time to fix it.. in 2 weeks ill have a john deere, in the yard to harrow everything up.. but ill still come behind it with the tiller.

ArizonaDave

Seems about right. I bought Prelep from WLT, and most of my varieties I'm growing this year are to supplement my WLT purchases. If WLT has it, I'm probably not growing it.

Rickey60

I'm looking forward to following your blog again this year. I'll be growing all flue cure this year plus golden burley.

DGBAMA

Picked up soil and fulling starting trays.

I always sift starting soil, but dealing with some frozen clods of dirt in the bags, been cold this week.
14245700463330.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your trays look just like mine,,,,

i got some floatation trays.. ill use on the bacca strains that have a lot of seed sproutage,,,

i aqquired some individual starting trays with 6 holes per cell.

sort of like yours cut into 12 sections.

DGBAMA

Slight change to my starting trays this year. The past mix I used last, is great texture and perfect for starting, but I felt root systems were underdeveloped, so this time I got a veggie growing mix by the same brand also for extra nutrition. Cells were filled 3/4 with the growing soil, then topped with the peat mix that has been so good for starting.
14245731235530.jpg

DGBAMA

Also received 4 varieties for FTT seed grow out today, an interesting mix.

Sears special, pi 551331, fire cure type.

Mk94, pi 370278, a South African flue cure type

#83, pi 114358, Ecuador wrapper

Dawma, pi 405077, Japan, filler.

Japanese filler with Ecuador wrapper just sounds interesting.

DGBAMA

And once again I find myself in the certifiably insane category, seeding 20 varieties. 12 for me and 8 for curiosity/seed grow out. Thankfully, only need to worry about seed from 10 of them, instead of 32 like last year.

ArizonaDave

And once again I find myself in the certifiably insane category, seeding 20 varieties. 12 for me and 8 for curiosity/seed grow out. Thankfully, only need to worry about seed from 10 of them, instead of 32 like last year.

Sounds like you are starting to hone in on your taste from what you grow. I only wish I had that much room here to grow that many!

DGBAMA

Sounds like you are starting to hone in on your taste from what you grow. I only wish I had that much room here to grow that many!

Yes, and I wish me luck with that one. Ideally I could narrow down to 6 types for production, plus a few seed grow outs/experimentations per year.

Dark air
Flue cure
Oriental
Burley
Cigar wrapper
Primitive

Knucklehead

Founding Member

I'm down to 17 this year from 70+ last year. Two production varieties and 15 seed grow outs. Fewer plants than last year also. It's going to seem like a vacation. lol

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Holy cow that's a lot of plants! Best of luck. Hopefully we'll get some sunshine this year. Seems like every day last summer was cloudy or raining.

DGBAMA

Holy cow that's a lot of plants! Best of luck. Hopefully we'll get some sunshine this year. Seems like every day last summer was cloudy or raining.

You got that right. My yield was like shade grown last year. Nice size, low weight

Status
Not open for further replies.