Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canadian duty on whole leaf tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Jeepers. That's really going the extra mile on your part, Don.

I think that was in self defense. A few lazy Canadians would return the product back to Don (and blame him for their gov't restrictions), rather than keep up their end of the deal and appeal any wrong appraisals by their Customs dept. Or even argue for their own rights. Smart move on Don's part. Returns for no reason are a PITA to any business, and an unnecessary expense.

burge

I read it as the tobacco tax act because it states a personal excemption same as growing up to 15kgs a year. and it says the tobacco tax act states Not Ontario which means i can buy tobacco leaf in Canada and have it shipped up to 3kgs which is about 6 and a half pounds. To Don or anyone tha can secure a supplier in cdn funds and save emmnsly on exhcange rates would be great

juan carlos

just want to update other canadians...got my order in 7 days. 5% GST added, 1.57/kg excize tax and 9.95 for canada post handling. less than 25 buck ttl on a 6.5 lb order (of generous proportions).

the photocopy of the tax laws was opened by the border people, so keep attaching that!!! they must have read and understood.

ChinaVoodoo

just want to update other canadians...got my order in 7 days. 5% GST added, 1.57/kg excize tax and 9.95 for canada post handling. less than 25 buck ttl on a 6.5 lb order (of generous proportions).

the photocopy of the tax laws was opened by the border people, so keep attaching that!!! they must have read and understood.

That's exactly what my experience has been.

Matty

Yes, seems there has been a somewhat recent change as the past 2-3 orders I got in were assessed "by the book", gst, duty and handling fees totalling under $20 for 4lbs. Took a few years but I think they got the idea.

burge

My last order was 25 dollars for 8lbs. In the buy 3 get 1 free sale. Dons portions generous not sure what leaf only is like and not sure If I want too. I got huge leaves. 12 leaves almost fills a 200 gram 80% more tub

juan carlos

Just to keep things current, I referred my buddy to WLT and he just got his 11Lb order of threashed virginia. no problems. i think he said excise, gst and handling came to around 60.00 CDN

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
$60 is still really high, but pales in comparison to the cost of cigarettes in Canada.

11 lbs tobacco = 220 packs.

220 packs divided by the cost (about $200 with shipping to CA)

...less than a buck a pack

buck

I picked up my package from Point Roberts in WA today and drove back across the border with it. I was prepared for a lengthy argument with the Border Agency, equipped with all the rules and regulations on hand and Don included the Tariff code documentation as well.
Pulled up to the booth, he asks how long and purpose for my trip, I reply he then asks what did you buy, I said whole leaf tobacco. At this point he gave me a bewildered look, What are you going to do with that , I replied roll cigars. He then says with a chuckle are you sure that's not any of that illegal leaf that you can also roll ... I replied no sir I woudn't do that. The he asks me how much I have and how much I paid, his final question was do you need some kind of permit it bring it across, no I say I've done this before ..

That's it, no duty or taxes .. easy breezy ..

rainmax

Founding Member
Yes, we do physically attach (to the outside of the package) a copy of the International Harmonized Tariff Code (recognized by nearly every country on earth) AND the actual law of the country where the order is being sent (if we can find it). All of these precautions do not mean the customs agents will honor them....but they're learning.

In my country they didn't learn and they don't intend to.

rustycase

He probably figured it was too close to the end of his shift and wanted to get home to watch the hockey game :)

Yah, that's part of the problem... interpretation, for whatever reason.

The situation may be different for the next guy.

The only reason it matters is because I remain delusional and harbor some small expectation public servants will adhere to the law.

hqdefault.jpg

Then I get run over like a bug in the street.
rc

buck

And I bet you that on my next order which may be a larger one, the agent ask me to come inside then apply the wrong amount of duty and giving me a hard time.

burge

My last one I paid nothing and was shocked all to hell. Mind you that past couple of times it was around 20 bucks, Just add that red Virginia if you like that leaf is good

Status
Not open for further replies.