Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canadian duty on whole leaf tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I was reading a CRA website. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/em/edn35/edn35-e.html
And realized that the duty on "raw leaf tobacco" is less than $1 a pound.

However, I'm confused because it also suggests that cigar duty is only like 8¢ per cigar, when I know for a fact people get dinged for waaaay more than that, such as $10 per cigar.

I have also heard of mistakes made, like a friend who ordered cologne that was made to look like cigar tubos, and paid $50 duty, charged as cigar duty. Now he has a huge headache to go through to get his money back.

I wish to order tobacco from the whole leaf tobacco website, but I don't want to be surprised with duties I didn't expect. Does anyone in Canada have experience ordering whole leaf tobacco, or as CRA calls it, "raw leaf tobacco"?

bonehead

in the USA certain ppl get preference for jobs they are not qualified to have. i don't know if canada works the same way. sounds terrible but go to motor vehicle department or any other state job and try to find a worker. i like ppl of all races but i don't like stupid if i am required to deal with them by law.

Lakota

Founding Member
when Don ships all the paperwork is attached to the package. If the CBSA does over charge there are two ways to dispute their assesment. You can send the package back from the post office for reassesment or pay the duty and send in the paperwork along with all receipts and any other paperwork that you have for the package. The CBSA will then reasses it and send you a cheque for the difference. I have not paid any duty on the last few packages I have received. The duty that I have paid equals out to 1.57 a kg and also 9.95 for Canada Post brokerage fee. I have sent 1 shipment back for reassement and 1 I just sent the paperwork in. Both were corrected and the right duty was charged.

ChinaVoodoo

when Don ships all the paperwork is attached to the package. If the CBSA does over charge there are two ways to dispute their assesment. You can send the package back from the post office for reassesment or pay the duty and send in the paperwork along with all receipts and any other paperwork that you have for the package. The CBSA will then reasses it and send you a cheque for the difference. I have not paid any duty on the last few packages I have received. The duty that I have paid equals out to 1.57 a kg and also 9.95 for Canada Post brokerage fee. I have sent 1 shipment back for reassement and 1 I just sent the paperwork in. Both were corrected and the right duty was charged.

Sounds great Lakota. I'll make an order and if I need any more advice, I'll hit you up.

Thank you very much

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I'm very surprised that Canada does that to its citizens.. They are so relaxed on certain issues..but acts so stupid on such minor issues

ChinaVoodoo

I'm very surprised that Canada does that to its citizens.. They are so relaxed on certain issues..but acts so stupid on such minor issues

The reasoning supposedly is that since health care is paid by taxes. Taxes must be collected on tobacco to compensate for its effects on the health care costs associated with smoking. However, someone estimated that if you liberally assign all cases of every ailment associated with smoking, regardless of other risk factors such as diet, lifestyle, alcohol, weight, genetics etc. Ie, if you say all those factors and luck had nothing to do with it, tobacco taxes still cover 125% of those health care costs. At least in Alberta.

DIY Pete

BY that logic they should tax the crap out of fast food and soda.

Pete

Matty

ChinaVoodoo, I would suggest keeping the order under 4lbs, in my experience the CBSA doesn't like big boxes. Also, Lakota has it right, if they charge the wrong duties and taxes request the refund. I have had packages wrongly assessed because the description had been changed, one time they changed it to pipe tobacco another time to chewing tobacco, both being completely incorrect. WLT has been shipping the packages with a copy of the harmonized sales tax codes fixed by the packing slip with the correct HS code highlighted. Good luck

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yes, we do physically attach (to the outside of the package) a copy of the International Harmonized Tariff Code (recognized by nearly every country on earth) AND the actual law of the country where the order is being sent (if we can find it). All of these precautions do not mean the customs agents will honor them....but they're learning.

Lakota

Founding Member
Don I really think there is some confusion about the 3 kg import limit. As far as I can tell that is only affecting someone that is importing in Ontario. The Canada Excise Tax act says nothing about how much you can import, only that you must pay $1.57 on a kilo. It is a Provinial law only for Ontario, at least the way I read it. Russ

ChinaVoodoo

Don I really think there is some confusion about the 3 kg import limit. As far as I can tell that is only affecting someone that is importing in Ontario. The Canada Excise Tax act says nothing about how much you can import, only that you must pay $1.57 on a kilo. It is a Provinial law only for Ontario, at least the way I read it. Russ

That's how I read it... Plus gst.

webmost

Yes, we do physically attach (to the outside of the package) a copy of the International Harmonized Tariff Code (recognized by nearly every country on earth) AND the actual law of the country where the order is being sent (if we can find it). All of these precautions do not mean the customs agents will honor them....but they're learning.

Jeepers. That's really going the extra mile on your part, Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.