Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Growing Latakia" in Northern Cyprus is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
As very well known by Latakia enthusiasts, the last time tobacco was grown for producing Latakia in Northern Cyprus was almost a decade ago, in 2004. Although tobacco has not been grown since 2004, company's sun-cured leaf stock in warehouses was being used for smoking the leaf periodically depending on demand.

While company's Latakia export was varying between 20 to 30 metric tons per year, this December they broke a record by exporting 35 metric tons in a single month. Common belief is, the turmoil in Syria affected market equilibrium of Latakia. As the unsmoked leaf stock is now almost run out in Northern Cyprus (approx. 55 metric tons left), farmers are going to grow tobacco this year.

As a foot note, as the company spokesman indicated in the interview that I read, the variety grown in Northern Cyprus for producing Latakia is called "Yayla" and the main wood they use for smoking leaves is Pistacia lentiscus', as known as Mastic tree.

q4j0VB.jpg

Workers grading freshly smoked Latakia leaves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that the photo above is the only photo I have ever seen of anything having to do with commercial Latakia production. It never occurred to me that Latakia is actually graded.

Bob

ArizonaDave

As very well known by Latakia enthusiasts, the last time tobacco was grown for producing Latakia in Northern Cyprus was almost a decade ago, in 2004. Although tobacco has not been grown since 2004, company's sun-cured leaf stock in warehouses was being used for smoking the leaf periodically depending on demand.

While company's Latakia export was varying between 20 to 30 metric tons per year, this December they broke a record by exporting 35 metric tons in a single month. Common belief is, the turmoil in Syria affected market equilibrium of Latakia. As the unsmoked leaf stock is now almost run out in Northern Cyprus (approx. 55 metric tons left), farmers are going to grow tobacco this year.

As a foot note, as the company spokesman indicated in the interview that I read, the variety grown in Northern Cyprus for producing Latakia is called "Yayla" and the main wood they use for smoking leaves is Pistacia lentiscus', as known as Mastic tree.

q4j0VB.jpg

Workers grading freshly smoked Latakia leaves.

Very interesting research, and great picture!

The Mastic tree, extremely interesting!

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Anyone live in zone 9 or warmer? I looked into it and Monrovia nurseries (among others) sell the mastic tree, Pistacia lentiscus, which is apparently easy to grow and very hardy near salt or inland. Apparently it's also fully naturalized in Mexico. Someone ought to start collecting it and see about making Latakia here.

Status
Not open for further replies.