Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2015 Knucklehead Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Thanks for the Orchid fertilizer link. Thats just what I was looking for today at the store but never found.
We have one foot of muddy slush up here.

DGBAMA

No freeze in our forecast has me antsy, but I know it is too early and expect we will get another good cold snap.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've been watching how my plants are behaving since I put the lights on a timer. When they were on 24/7, the plants stayed open, with 2-3 leaves in constant contact with the ground, acting as a brace for the stalk. Since I have put the lights on a timer, 14 on, 10 off, the plants go into the prayer position at night, with all the leaf weight being supported by the stalk. I'm wondering if the act of going into the prayer position at night is actually strengthening the stalk. What say you guys?

jolly

I think it's just a form of night movement. Don't think there's any strengthening going on. Though maybe if you attach some tiny Dumbbells and turn the lights on and off...

See below, mercilessly stolen from the interwebs.

Leaves and leaflets that become vertical at night are called nyctinastic. This is commonly termed a ‘sleep’ movement, although these plants do not actually slow down their metabolism at night. The ‘Prayer Plant’ (Maranta) is a good example (Figure 8.17). Sleep movements are either growth based, and therefore cease at leaf maturity, or are caused by reversible turgor changes in the pulvinus.

Turgor-based pulvinus flexure
Turgor-based sleep movements are exhibited by many legumes. Examples are clover (Trifolium), bean (Phaseolus), Bauhinia, coral tree (Erythrina) and many tropical legume trees, such as Pithecelobium saman and Leucaena. Turgor-based sleep movements occur mainly in compound leaves with a mechanism similar to helionasty. The daily rhythm of water movement results from a flux of potassium ions from one side of the pulvinus to the other, either increasing or decreasing the water potential of cell vacuoles in each half.

http://plantsinaction.science.uq.edu.au/edition1/?q=content/8-2-5-nastic-movements

jolly

This would confirm that tobacco movement is driven by turgor pressure.

Epinastic leaf movement of tobacco is based on differential growth of the upper and lower leaf surface and is distinct from the motor organ-driven mechanism of nyctinastic leaf movement of, for example, mimosa species. The epinastic leaf movement of tobacco is observed not only under diurnal light regimes but also in continuous light, indicating a control by light and the circadian clock.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14690500

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco seems to exhibit "praying hands" whenever the light exposure abruptly decreases. So, when a bright, sunny day suddenly becomes overcast, the leaf stems immediately appear to become more rigid, causing the leaves to be held in a more erect position. I have always assumed this to be due to a decrease in water vapor transpiration from the leaves, resulting in increased turgor in the stems and lamina.

Whether or not this also impacts differential growth is a good question. I believe that wind disturbance induces stalks and roots to strengthen. So small outdoor plants that lift their leaves from the ground might exhibit some increase in root and stalk thickening or growth. This effect would likely not be at play for undisturbed (indoor) plants.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think it is good for all plants to have a dark period,

i read somewhere a while back... that certain chemical happenings go on in a plants cycle during the dark hours.

ChinaVoodoo

i think it is good for all plants to have a dark period,

i read somewhere a while back... that certain chemical happenings go on in a plants cycle during the dark hours.

I remember something about that from science class. Also, the boys at the indoor garden center say 16hrs of daylight per day at the same time every day is ideal. I didn't get a science lesson from them, but they do this for a living and as a lifestyle, so I'll go with what they advise.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I just finished giving the seedlings their first haircut of the season. High and tight as per regulations. It opened up a lot of space and allows more light to the smaller plants. Will also help trigger a defense mechanism to strengthen roots and stalks. They are coming along nicely.

Brown Thumb

Jeesh, how big are they? Your are about a week and a half ahead of me and mine are less then size of a quater overall.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Jeesh, how big are they? Your are about a week and a half ahead of me and mine are less then size of a quater overall.

The big leaves were 2-1/2 to 3" long. There was much more crowding in the 72 cell tray than in the two 48 cell trays. The VA 355 Dark Air and the cigar varieties were an inch or so longer on average than the MD 609 Maryland. I didn't have to trim every Maryland yet.

DGBAMA

Jeesh I feel behind now. You might be good for an early start this year, I am hearing of gardens being planned in our area already and farmers alminac predicts we are done with frost already.

Brown Thumb

Jeesh I feel behind now. You might be good for an early start this year, I am hearing of gardens being planned in our area already and farmers alminac predicts we are done with frost already.
I think they been smuggling in Po,s Lemonade.
Dang there big!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking good. I gotta get some of those sticks. I transplanted last nigh, and all I had was qtips and masking tape.

And boy, I'd love to have that view our the window, rather than a bunch of houses.

I use masking tape on the plastic label sticks so I can reuse them. Third year on those. I'll keep the tape on until after harvest so I don't have to relabel them for germination testing of the seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.