Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2015 Knucklehead Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I sowed my seed today for germination. I have a lot of flue cure, burley, and oriental stock piled, so I'm growing mainly the other two varieties in my cigarette blend. Here is my variety list:

VarietyPI NumberClass# Plants
Maryland 609552452maryland48
VA355604198dark air48
Seed Grow Out
TN 90 LC
burley4
TN 86 LC
burley4
Besuki
wrapper4
Florida Sumatra
552631wrapper4
CT Broadleaf
552619wrapper4
Machu Picchu
wrapper4
Little Dutch
551282filler4
Comstock Spanish
552437filler4
Vuelta Abajo
405668filler4
Pennsylvania Red
552741filler4
Long Red
552693filler4
Lancaster Seedleaf
552689filler4
Zimmer Spanish
551284filler4

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey Knucks, That's a lot of Maryland. Do you like Maryland that much?

My cigarette blend uses 20% Maryland.
40% flue cure. 20% burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir-Ozbas
I kind of want to put it back to age and to rotate between growing flue cure/burley one year and Maryland/dark air another year. I'll grow Izmir-Ozbas as needed. I won't have to grow dark air for awhile. Maybe I can even take next year off and rotate crops/grow a cover crop next summer.

DonH

My cigarette blend uses 20% Maryland.
40% flue cure. 20% burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Izmir-Ozbas
I kind of want to put it back to age and to rotate between growing flue cure/burley one year and Maryland/dark air another year. I'll grow Izmir-Ozbas as needed. I won't have to grow dark air for awhile. Maybe I can even take next year off and rotate crops/grow a cover crop next summer.
That there is a man's smoke!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The number of varieties you've chosen qualifies for the sanity category. Yay! Excellent cigar selection.

Machu Picchu Havana is Pi 116159 (1936).

My 2014 grow of Long Red produced huge leaves that kilned to a deep, reddish brown. Their leaf aroma resembles that of PA Red. I haven't smoked any yet.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That there is a man's smoke!

It's not as strong as you would think. The Maryland does a good job of taming it down. Wonderful layers of flavor. Very smooth in the mouth and on the tongue, with a nice little nicotine throat hit. Give it a try and let me know how you like it.

I would put it in the "preference profile" of someone who likes Marlboro or Pall Mall, but better. No casings necessary.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The number of varieties you've chosen qualifies for the sanity category. Yay! Excellent cigar selection.

Machu Picchu Havana is Pi 116159 (1936).

My 2014 grow of Long Red produced huge leaves that kilned to a deep, reddish brown. Their leaf aroma resembles that of PA Red. I haven't smoked any yet.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I've edited my list to include the Machu Picchu PI number. Don't let the reduction of varieties fool you, I'm still insane.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I seed direct to soil in the cells. Then weed out and move around seedlings until I end up with one healthy seedling per cell. The seedlings will remain in the cells until transplant to the patch, given a haircut as they begin to crowd each other. Here's my set up:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015 starts.JPG
    2015 starts.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 202

ChinaVoodoo

I seed direct to soil in the cells. Then weed out and move around seedlings until I end up with one healthy seedling per cell. The seedlings will remain in the cells until transplant to the patch, given a haircut as they begin to crowd each other. Here's my set up:

How is a haircut performed? How does it not cause branching?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
How is a haircut performed? How does it not cause branching?
Trim the outer 1/3 to 1/2 of each leaf with a small, sharp scissor. Do not trim the growth tip. Repeat as needed.

Garden20130506_604_seedlings_1month_500.jpg

The leaves that are trimmed have no impact on the useful leaves that the plant will sprout after transplant.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

And, it's a dual purpose thing, no? To reduce crowding in the trays and to increase hardiness? Also, I'm not sure I understand how it wouldn't result in some oddly shaped leaves when the plants grow up. I don't disbelieve. I know it's common practice. I just wish to understand.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
And, it's a dual purpose thing, no? To reduce crowding in the trays and to increase hardiness? Also, I'm not sure I understand how it wouldn't result in some oddly shaped leaves when the plants grow up. I don't disbelieve. I know it's common practice. I just wish to understand.

The trimmed leaves will end up as the mud lugs. Low in nicotine, thin, and torn and tattered by contact with the ground. Some people save them, some don't. I saved them my first year to experiment with and decided they weren't worth the trouble. I usually pull them and discard them at topping time, if not before, I call it bottom topping. lol. They will stop taking energy from the good leaves once pulled and discarded. I do recommend to first time growers to save them and get a head start on learning about curing, before priming the good leaves. Plus, at transplant, I snip off the lowest two or three leaves from the seedlings and bury the plant deeper, up to the next leaf. After I do this, there will only be one or two trimmed leaves left on the plant after transplanting anyway. They still end up as mud lugs.

You are right, trimming the leaves back thickens the stems and stimulates root growth. It triggers a defense mechanism in the plant.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Wallace, your grow out varieties is a lot like my planned 2015 grow. Everything exept the Zimmer Spanish and Machu Picchu. Good luck.
Ben.

Your grow season confuses me. lol. Will you be able to plant the seed I sent this year, or will you have to wait till next year? Give that Swarr filler a try, I think it's a keeper. When does your 2015 season start?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Ive.got enough seed.trays this year..im skipping a.hole in between plants

Ben Brand

Your grow season confuses me. lol. Will you be able to plant the seed I sent this year, or will you have to wait till next year? Give that Swarr filler a try, I think it's a keeper. When does your 2015 season start?
Will def use your seeds. Will sow in late July or early August. Plant end November. Will give the Swarr a try. Thanks again for the seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.