Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What did you smoke today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewZephyr

Smoking a 9H in frigid Houston Texas (45 deg)
Yeah I know. Suck it up.

Nicaraguan Seco
Criollo 98 Ligero
Piloto Seco
Sumatra
Habano 2000

Raodwarior

Frigid my assets was -2 here today, y'all need to learn to deal with some cold...lol That said smoked what I call a super corona 48x6 1/2

2) Dom Ligero
2) Honduran Corojo Viso
1) Brasilia Mat Fina (small leaf)
1/2 Corojo
Dom Binder
Corojo Wrapper

Try it you'll like it

ArizonaDave

I recently had a Cigar I rolled a while back that had been resting. Aleman Seco with 1 leaf of Perique. Really enjoyed it! The Perique has potential in Cigar blends. Has anyone ever tried this before?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Air-cured leaf of the Perique variety makes excellent filler, after kilning. Perique processed leaf in a cigar dramatically changes the character of a cigar--in an unhappy way.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Air-cured leaf of the Perique variety makes excellent filler, after kilning. Perique processed leaf in a cigar dramatically changes the character of a cigar--in an unhappy way.

Bob

Bob, I'll have to keep that in mind. In a couple years, I might add Perique to my seed bank. Right now, between you, Knucklehead and DGBAMA, I have enough seed to have some excellent varieties to grow over the next few years!

DIY Pete

Bob

Bob,
Could you expand on the "in an unhappy way" part of your reply. What make it bad in a cigar?
Pete

LewZephyr

54 degrees outside and. Smoking a 10E
It's a short one but I don't have a long time to enjoy a longer one.

Piloto seco
Criollo 98 ligero
Criollo 98 seco
Sumatra Double Binder
Ecuador Shade Wrapper

Old#12

I tried out 3 coronas today, to test out some blends I've been rolling. Most of these have rested a while in cedar.

First one was my blend of Cohiba, WLT style, anything goes.

Habana 2000
Dominican seco
Dominican Liguero

It was a pretty good blend, about 3 ½ stars. The only thing I'm going to change out is the wrapper. I prefer the Habana 2000 with Nicaraguan long leaf, so I'll use a different wrapper next time.

The 2nd blend was:

Habana 2000
Aleman Seco
Aleman Liguero

What can I say? I really miss the Aleman. It was 3 ½ stars out of 5. I would have given this a higher rating, but I also miss the Paraguay Flojo Viso. There was something about Aleman Seco and Flojo that was magical, however I really enjoyed the Habana2000 wrapper with it instead. Took this one to the nub!

My 3rd one:
was a Habano seco puro. I have to say, this new Habano Seco has more flavor than even last year! Rolled this one last month, but still picked up the Cedar in the humi. Straight-forward woody, cedary smoke. I wish now that I would've added Criollo Liguero or Viso. Those two blend very well. In spite of this over site I'd say it was thoroughly enjoyable. A solid 3 star blend, and one of my daily go-to blends.

You guys keep bringing up those leaves that are no longer available. That's not fair. Sure wish I hadn't missed out on the flojo. I just got some of the San Andreas and I noticed it's going fast. Better get some of you don't have it.

BarG

Founding Member
The first group buy for the dominican seco and ligero was a must to get into. Fantastic cigar leaf. Special thanks to the member who thought of the idea [smokesahoy] and to Don [WLT]for making it happen. It took a lot of work on his part. I have a bunch left still and no I won't share.:cool:

My cigars this morning were homegrown wrappers and binders of Bezuki and dixie shade, with dominican seco and 98 ligero with dark fire filler unkilned

Webmost turned me on to using my dixie as binder and its good. I like in my ciggs to. It has a nutty flavor when you first light a cigar.

Last edited:

Smokin Harley

Yesterday ...the sun came out ,pushed the temperature up to almost 38 and the afternoon just begged for a garage smoke. I grabbed one of my larger sticks 6x58 again a DIYPete #2 blend ,wrapped in a Nic Habano leaf. I placed my garage chair back from the south facing doorway so the sun warmed me up but kept the breeze outside. It kind of smoked sideways a couple times and a touch up here and there was necessary , a very pleasant blend though. I'm wondering now after the Little Dutch thread came about how this blend would be with a leaf of LD somewhere in the mix. I would expect a chocolaty hint (?). I'd like to thank Pete again for this blend idea .Its a wonderful base blend to build on. I can already imagine all it needs is a few tweaks of different leaves to change it ever so slightly from batch to batch so the palate doesnt become bored .

DIY Pete

Yesterday ...the sun came out ,pushed the temperature up to almost 38 and the afternoon just begged for a garage smoke. I grabbed one of my larger sticks 6x58 again a DIYPete #2 blend ,wrapped in a Nic Habano leaf. I placed my garage chair back from the south facing doorway so the sun warmed me up but kept the breeze outside. It kind of smoked sideways a couple times and a touch up here and there was necessary , a very pleasant blend though. I'm wondering now after the Little Dutch thread came about how this blend would be with a leaf of LD somewhere in the mix. I would expect a chocolaty hint (?). I'd like to thank Pete again for this blend idea .Its a wonderful base blend to build on. I can already imagine all it needs is a few tweaks of different leaves to change it ever so slightly from batch to batch so the palate doesnt become bored .

It really is a rock solid base. Too bad I am out of Flojo but all good things come to an end. if it ever warms up again I will have another smoke.

Pete

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,
Could you expand on the "in an unhappy way" part of your reply. What make it bad in a cigar?
Pete
Each of us has a specific set of expectations that define a category of tobacco use. Although I have rolled puros of, for example, Izmir-Ozbas, or Lemon Virginia, and found them interesting--and they were certainly cigars, they failed my personal "tastes like a cigar" test.

I prepare and enjoy a number of pipe blends that utilize pressure-cured Perique. However, when I add pressure-cured Perique to a cigar, it registers several characteristics in my brain:
  • doesn't taste "like a cigar"
  • contributes a fruity (non-"cigar") aroma
  • increases the nicotine absorption so much that I feel sweaty, dizzy and slightly nauseated.
Now, others may like what pressure-cured Perique adds to a cigar. I feel it's like adding tutti-fruti creamer to an otherwise excellent cup of coffee.

When all the dust settles, my definition of what tastes "like a cigar" is just a matter of habit and personal preference.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I swear, you guys must not eat peppers. Do you swish your drink before swallowing? Heh Heh

A cigar is fine , but damn! Sometimes you just don't want to be a connoseiur. You just want to smoke a good cigar that suits you. Right Bob, If you like it you like it ,If you don't you don't. It don' take a refined palate to determine that. No matter how much I have tried I never notice the subtle properties and flavors except for my Dixie shade which is definatly nutty.:cool:

I'm not intentionaly trying to ruffle feathers but my taste buds just aint there. No matter how hard I try to taste a cigar I cant get the peppery or woody [Unless i'm in my shop] but the only one I have distinguished is the nutty. Is that wierd? I will probably never be a cigar connosuir but if you want to send me a hundred dollar cuban cigar to prove me wrong I guess that would be okay.;)

Last edited:

ArizonaDave

I swear, you guys must not eat peppers. Do you swish your drink before swallowing? Heh Heh

A cigar is fine , but damn! Sometimes you just don't want to be a connoseiur. You just want to smoke a good cigar that suits you. It don' take a refined palate to determine that. No matter how much I have tried I never notice the subtle properties and flavors except for my Dixie shade which is definatly nutty.:cool:

I'm not intentionaly trying to ruffle feathers but my taste buds just aint there. No matter how hard I cant get the peppery or woody [Unless i'm in my shop] but the only one I have distinguished is the nutty. Is that wierd?

I absolute LOVED your Dixie Shade! It has a taste I just love in a Cigar! What is the seed called? Can't seem to find it. Wouldn't mind growing some of it myself. My only regret is that I wish I had more. I wish someone would grow it for WLT!!!

BarG

Founding Member
It's called .... indianjoe........He's the man, I still have some seeds he sent me. I'll send you some. Like maybe a few, heh heh You won't be able to plant half your county the way BigBonner sent my bursa seeds.
A hundred on their way soon, I have to try the original strain against a few pods I saved from lst year to compare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.