Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Little Dutch, Anyone ever grow it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

ok now I have to ask .maybe its just the way it was read may have nothing to do with little dutch at all. I watched a rolling video a few minutes ago and the roller called a leaf Aleman which he pronounced "AYL-mon" 2 syllables,with accent on the first syllable as Ale like a beer and short "a" in the man part more like mon like they say in Jamaica. Now, heres where I'm going with this . in SPANISH Aleman means German and is pronounced as "ah-lay-MON "accent on the last syllable. Is Aleman leaf actually a slang or language crossover derivative of a german grown(i.e,pennsyvania dutch)or little dutch leaf tobacco?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The name of the leaf is from the Spanish term for German. (Three syllables.) Chalk up one video on the Internet that misinforms. Don has explained the source of the leaf. I seem to recall that it was grown in the Dominican Republic, from a German seed. But I may be incorrect about that. I don't know of any connection to Pennsylvania.

Bob

CT Tobaccoman

Thinking I might grow a couple Little Dutch inside over the winter. Is seed available?

I'd like to grow and have some USA type cigar filler. Don't know where I'll be growing next summer, maybe back in the Conn Valley--I'm a renter and have to move out of here November. I'll find someplace, even if I have to rent 500 sq ft of somebody's yard.

Ben Brand

I planted Little Dutch a twice, a nice dark flavourful tobacco. Will plant it again, just got e few new varieties I must try first.

I can say for certain that tobacco is not dangerous to live stock. When I was planting tobacco (commercially) I had trouble keeping the kudus from eating my tobacco, they seemed to love the new little leaves at the top of the plant.

Ben Brand

Must also add, a easy plant to grow, not affected by wind ect, its not a tall plant. You sometimes get plants that doesn`t get bothered by anything, just keep on growing, while other plants suffer, thats Little Dutch.

ArizonaDave

I planted Little Dutch a twice, a nice dark flavourful tobacco. Will plant it again, just got e few new varieties I must try first.

I can say for certain that tobacco is not dangerous to live stock. When I was planting tobacco (commercially) I had trouble keeping the kudus from eating my tobacco, they seemed to love the new little leaves at the top of the plant.

Just got in some Little Dutch from Mad Oshea, plus a bunch of others, looking forward to growing it.

Frozenthunderbolt

You sometimes get plants that doesn`t get bothered by anything, just keep on growing, while other plants suffer, thats Little Dutch.

Sounds very similar to the 'dutch ohio' that todd and i grew - short plant very long thin sticky leaves - interesting aroma.
Dashboard cures to a dark chocolate brown beautifully easily.
Was also the only tobacco plant to survive multiple killer frosts and then throw up new suckers in late winter.

ArizonaDave

Sounds very similar to the 'dutch ohio' that todd and i grew - short plant very long thin sticky leaves - interesting aroma.
Dashboard cures to a dark chocolate brown beautifully easily.
Was also the only tobacco plant to survive multiple killer frosts and then throw up new suckers in late winter.

I'm pretty sure it sounds more like little Dutch more than "dutch Ohio", the ohio is a much bigger plant.

ArizonaDave

Awesome thanks AD! - got my plants from Todd - not sure who he got his seed off/origin story of it :)

Here's what I found out about the two (from http://www.northwoodseeds.com )

They also have pictures at that site if you want to compare?

Little Dutch: Little Dutch is an heirloom variety dating back to the 1880's. It is sweet aromatic tobacco used in pipe blends and as a cigar filler. It grow to around 3' in height and has narrow leaves growing up to 30" long. The long narrow leaves also make an excellent cigar wrapper. It matures in only 45 days and is a good choice for container growing. PI 551282

Ohio Dutch
is classified as a cigar filler but also makes an excellent pipe tobacco. It grows to a height of 4-5 feet with long narrow pointed leaves reaching 30 inches in length and 10 to 12 inches in width. It matures in only 50-55 days.

Frozenthunderbolt

Here's what I found out about the two (from http://www.northwoodseeds.com )

They also have pictures at that site if you want to compare?

Little Dutch: Little Dutch is an heirloom variety dating back to the 1880's. It is sweet aromatic tobacco used in pipe blends and as a cigar filler. It grow to around 3' in height and has narrow leaves growing up to 30" long. The long narrow leaves also make an excellent cigar wrapper. It matures in only 45 days and is a good choice for container growing. PI 551282

Ohio Dutch
is classified as a cigar filler but also makes an excellent pipe tobacco. It grows to a height of 4-5 feet with long narrow pointed leaves reaching 30 inches in length and 10 to 12 inches in width. It matures in only 50-55 days.

Has to be Little dutch that we have then, leaves can't be more than 4 inches wide, at best.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add that, while Little Dutch can make a tasty cigar wrapper, its narrow width, together with its acute vein angle often restricts its use as a wrapper to narrow cigars (say, <40 ring), though the cigar's length is not limited. Little Dutch tip leaf reliably makes oscuro.

I'm not sure I agree on its suitability for pipe tobacco.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I'll add that, while Little Dutch can make a tasty cigar wrapper, its narrow width, together with its acute vein angle often restricts its use as a wrapper to narrow cigars (say, <40 ring), though the cigar's length is not limited. Little Dutch tip leaf reliably makes oscuro.

I'm not sure I agree on its suitability for pipe tobacco.

Bob

That's ok, sometimes I'm more in the mood for a 32rg to a 40 ring, up to 6 or 7", sometimes half that length. Our fall/winter/spring is a cool 70* for several months, if it's cooler, I'll have a mini.

Mad Oshea just gifted me some more seeds! Can't hardly wait for the Spring grow, and my fall grow is still growing~!

ArizonaDave

I had a Little Dutch corona a couple of weeks ago to test my leaf. I may not have fancy taste buds, but I sure enjoyed it immensely! Still have 2 bonsai's growing in clay pots in full bloom, left over from AZ's mild winter. Am looking forward to adding those to my Little Dutch leaf stock.
I tasted a nice smoothness and leather! Quite a treat, straight from my own desert garden!

I'll add this to my regular fall grow, as it seems to do well in AZ's mild winter.

Ben Brand

My few cents worth. Also Iike Little Dutch. Didn't plant it this season, but its on my list for next year as a filler. Like the little sweetness it gives a cigar. Its a quick grower with no hassles.
Ben

Smokin Harley

I had a Little Dutch corona a couple of weeks ago to test my leaf. I may not have fancy taste buds, but I sure enjoyed it immensely! Still have 2 bonsai's growing in clay pots in full bloom, left over from AZ's mild winter. Am looking forward to adding those to my Little Dutch leaf stock.
I tasted a nice smoothness and leather! Quite a treat, straight from my own desert garden!

I'll add this to my regular fall grow, as it seems to do well in AZ's mild winter.

Dave, you're making me anxious to get my crop growing. I have Little Dutch seeds . We're still looking at another snow coming soon. Best weather coming right now is 40* on Tuesday. Maybe another one like it Saturday.
I have been contemplating where at in the tobacco plot I should plant this. Common sense tells me since it is short that it needs to go in the southwest corner to get the most sun as other varieties will surely be taller and throw shade on the little guys. My varieties that make decent wrapper I'm planning for the easternmost part of the garden since it gets a longer shade period in the morning and the ones planted to the west of it will provide natural shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.