Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Little Dutch, Anyone ever grow it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenDragon

That has inspired me with an idea of what to do with all the 8 year old, now flavorless tobacco blossoms that I have kept. Mixed blossom perique! Maybe.

Bob
Oh, sounds like a fun experiment. You could mix in a few leaves of various varieties to augment the flavor profile. Could turn out great!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
a .Air-cured? Fire-cured?
b. Can replace burley in a cigarette mix?

c. In the pipe, how do you use it? Perique? Cavendish? only air-cured?

d. I read that it is also used to make cigars after 1 month of fermentation? Can we use it for Filler? Blinder? Wrapper? Can we make it a puro to the American taste?

a. Air cure it.
b. You can try to use it as a replacement for Burley (in a cigarette) but it has a very unique flavor. You may like it, you may not.
c. In the pipe: a good starting point is 40% Little Dutch and 60% Flue Cured (Virginia)
d. It makes a very unique cigar. It was used as a filler in the 1880's in the U.S. for the domestic cigar market. It tastes nothing like a Cuban or South American cigar. It is a different flavor from what most people are used to but it does make a very good cigar.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In my post within this thread from 2012, I mentioned that Little Dutch is "currently" part of the blend of Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies. (The other main filler ingredient was Pennsylvania Red.) Now, Marsh Wheeling cigars no longer exist. I smoked many a Deluxe Stogie over 4 decades. They were affectionately known as being "floor sweepings"--shredded filler, bound in reconstituted tobacco sheet, and wrapped in either Connecticut Broadleaf or Connecticut Shade.

Little Dutch and Dutch Ohio have a similar flavor profile. Dutch Ohio is more productive, though its flavor and aroma are not as intense as that of Little Dutch.

Good luck with your grow.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nearly every other brand of machine-made cigar was made the same way. March Wheeling cigars were unique in their delicious blending. They were all driven out of business by taxes suitable for premium cigars, but applied equally to machine-mades. A lot of companies went belly up. Some made crappy cigars, others made wonderful cigars. Now, only the international conglomerates that sell tutti-frutti flavored machine-made cigars are still in business.

Bob

ArizonaDave

well then, lets not disappoint the wife. How much did you plant this year ? I haven't made my planting plots yet ...snow delay.I haven't even started my trays yet,not for another month or so anyway. Maybe I can grow a few more Little Dutch .

I'm starting the seeds next week. I'll be growing more this year than I did in previous years. Our neighborhood humming bird family will be busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.