Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

TRYALS15 2015 Grow... (Round 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryals15

I'm getting a late start this year. That is to say, later than I had hoped to start. Turns out we don't really do "winter" down here and I could grow nearabout to 12 months a year.

I'm growing a few from last year and a few new strains.

From eBay (before I found FTT):
Havana (unkown)

From GRIN:
PI 494156 Izmir-Incekara
PI 478886 GC-1 (India)
PI 260368 Jorge Grande (Brazil)

From Brown Thumb (2014, thanks again, sir!):
PA Red
Catterton
Big Gem

Couldn't find 72-cell 1020s locally, so I'm working with larger cells. At least I can keep them our of the garden a bit longer this way if I need to. The covered side is tobacco. The open side are other garden starts, tomatoes and peppers, etc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-02-22 14.11.45.jpg
    2015-02-22 14.11.45.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 186

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm also growing the Izmir-Incekara and PA Red on your list. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like them. We'll compare notes later on. I have the Izmir-Ozbas and Izmir-Lebanese so I'm looking for a complete set. Istanbulin tells me there are other Izmir varieties out there. Now I'll have to go track those down. Best of luck with your season.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
id prefer to work with larger cells,,,,,,gives the plant a chance to grow more,,,,

im using all my larger cells trays first.....then ill use my smaller cell trays,

istanbulin

Founding Member
İzmir types that I can recall now are; Kokulu, Reşatbey, İncekara, Sarıbağlar, Karabağlar, Akhisar, Çıtır, Ege, Otan, Usturalı and Özbaş. I'm sure I forgot few names to write here. Naming İzmir types as Smyrna looks like a "talent" of GRIN. As written before, Smyrnas are İzmir types.

Brown Thumb

Good to see you around, If I sent you the Izmir seed my was tall and lanky per say.
Good Luck this yr.
BT

tryals15

Good to see you around, If I sent you the Izmir seed my was tall and lanky per say.
Good Luck this yr.
BT

Yeah, It was really spindly, it dogged legged a bit, had saucer sized (not shaped) leaves and smaller, and didn't flower. Not a great go of it. LOL

Still exceedingly grateful foe the seed you sent, though. :D

DGBAMA

Yeah, It was really spindly, it dogged legged a bit, had saucer sized (not shaped) leaves and smaller, and didn't flower. Not a great go of it. LOL

Still exceedingly grateful foe the seed you sent, though. :D

Hand sized leaves are good for oriental types in general. Lots of smaller leaves is normal. You did fine.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Couldn't find 72-cell 1020s locally, so I'm working with larger cells.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/traditional-inserts-hobby-pack/seed-starting
Check the chart to get the ones you want. 72 cell come in 6 cell/12 section or 4 cell/18 section.

It's kind of cold in the garage, so I was anticipating a slower start this year.

Best price for heat mats. They come in three sizes now, 1 tray, 2 tray or 4 tray: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/seedling-propagation-mat/seed-starting

tryals15

I was looking at the heating mats, but I decided to try starting them in the garage this year without to see what they did. I am wanting to use as little tech and electricity as possible; yes I realize the lights are tech and use electricity... :D

All that being said, I have green today! A couple of Jorge Grande sprouts, and a ton of Catteron (seed harvested from my plants last year -- how fun!). I would seem that I must have sneezed during the sowing of the Catterton, because I thought I was being super conservative laying out seed this year. Yikes!

IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1904.jpg

Brown Thumb

I bought a couple last yr. I found no difference in the trays with them and without them. But then again I had a disaster going on with the mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.