Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Extremely high temp storage of tobacco seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, It looks like I have another experiment brewing. I really screwd up yesterday... big time! I took off work yesterday for a mental health day. I decided to make a pound of dip. I do this by putting my tobacco in to small mason jars and submerging them in a water filled crock pot. I set the temp for 85C for 12 to 24 hours. I was filling my jars and ran out so I looked around for another jar. I grabbed a jar that I was storing some tobacco seeds in. I was going to empty it and place my dip into it but looked around and found another jar instead. I can't tell you how much my heart sunk this morning when I was taking my jars out of the crock pot when I lifted up the jar with the seeds in it. Dam!

No harm really. These were duplicates of seeds I already have in storage.

Now I'll have to plant some to see if 85C temp for 18 hours affects the germination rate.

chuditch

That would be a pretty hot day in the real world for the seeds anywhere I think the hottest it gets to in Australia in some parts is the high 50's C
Some of the native vegetation seeds will only sprout after they have had a fire go over them so there is a chance for your seeds be a good experiment you might find a better sprouting rate or stronger seedlings who knows you may be the leader in a new trend.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's simple:

SeedViabilityEquation1.gif

http://data.kew.org/sid/viability/#about

Seriously, I would expect some decrease in immediate viability, and a significant shortening of their viable lifespan. Your results will be interesting.

Bob

DGBAMA

results will be interesting.

here's an idea:
Check some as compared to the not heated seeds......each year after this heat treatment for a few years.

ChinaVoodoo

This discussion got me thinking about mutation breeding. I have plenty of axcess to gamma radiation, so i started reading there. In my brief reading-I will read more - I discovered that heat is not considered a useful initiator of mutation in plants , even when breeding for heat resistance.

Btw, I'm just curious about mutation breeding. I'm a bit of a hhippie, and not sure I'm really interested in such experimentation.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just curious about mutation breeding. I'm a bit of a hhippie, and not sure I'm really interested in such experimentation.
Short answer: You're not.

Long answer: Heirloom tobacco varieties are essentially homozygous (little to no genetic variation from one plant to another). Since inducing mutation, by whatever means, simply stirs to genetic pot, resulting is countless, unpredictable changes, varying from one seed to the next, the entire process requires:
  • induction of mutations
  • germination, planting and harvesting seed from a huge number of seeds from that single, mutated batch
  • identifying desirable and undesirable traits among all those plants
  • selection of seed for the following grows
  • several generations of back-crosses to stabilize the desirable new trait (if it's possible)
  • a commitment of 5 to 10 years, a lot of garden space, and a lot of curing, aging and sampling of the resultant leaf
Only Jitterbugdude has that much commitment.

Bob

jolly

I'm glad you brought that up CV. I think as this hobby grows, people will try to do it. Right now, there's so many varieties to explore, and me with experience of only a few, It's not really worth trying to create something new. I think that once a few folks have grown a lot of the varieties, it would only be natural to begin to manipulate cultivars to bend them to your will. I wish I had land. Being able to fit two/three growing seasons in one year down here would allow me to make my own cultivars faster -- I just don't have enough experience and space.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm glad you brought that up CV. I think as this hobby grows, people will try to do it. Right now, there's so many varieties to explore, and me with experience of only a few, It's not really worth trying to create something new. I think that once a few folks have grown a lot of the varieties, it would only be natural to begin to manipulate cultivars to bend them to your will. I wish I had land. Being able to fit two/three growing seasons in one year down here would allow me to make my own cultivars faster -- I just don't have enough experience and space.

Good thread on intentional crossing: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/1084-How-to-Intentionally-Cross-Tobacco-Varieties

Brown Thumb

Freaking CRS Sucks, But we don't seem to forget them mistakes.
Some mistakes turn into Good Mistakes.
Cool Mistake, Keep up the Good Work.
Baccy Growing on the Sun soon.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
GRIN holds between 2000 and 3000 tobacco varieties (excluding non-tabacum species). The motivation for the development of new varieties is usually driven by the need to find resistance to a newly troublesome disease of tobacco. This takes the pattern of identifying a (usually undesirable) variety with resistance to X, and crossing it with a desirable variety, over many years, to fix the resistance trait in the desirable variety.

I think that playing mix and match, hoping to end up with something better than existing varieties would be a decade-long, expensive exercise in patience.

Bob

jolly

Agree, and even developing varieties for desease resistance is a bit skewed since it appears that the companies developing new cultivars are using plant varieties they're familiar with or have been grown commercially before. I can't imagine they're growing and documenting all 3000 for future use.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Agree, and even developing varieties for desease resistance is a bit skewed since it appears that the companies developing new cultivars are using plant varieties they're familiar with or have been grown commercially before. I can't imagine they're growing and documenting all 3000 for future use.

Very few of the available varieties are grown commercially anymore. I think the point now is to keep the old varieties from becoming extinct. That's one reason I grow out some each year just for seed. GRIN grows out 250 varieties per year, so none of their seed is ever more than ten years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.