Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

want to purchase cigar mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORoller55

anybody got a 52 or 56 ga wood mold with a round head theyd be willing to sell?

Gdaddy

Does a single mold work for you?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mold.jpg
    Mold.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
try making one yourself,, they dont look very difficult to build, if you have basic knowledge of woodworking tools,

im sure by this time next year.. i will allready have built me one.

allthough i dont know nothing of the '' gauge'' but ill make it to the size. that i wont my cigars to be.. proablly real small.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
try making one yourself,, they dont look very difficult to build, if you have basic knowledge of woodworking tools,
im sure by this time next year.. i will allready have built me one.
allthough i dont know nothing of the '' gauge'' but ill make it to the size. that i wont my cigars to be.. proablly real small.

ring gauge equals diameter of cigar, measured in 64th of an inch. A 32 ring gauge is a half inch in diameter (32/64). A 64 ring gauge is one inch in diameter (64/64).

Smokin Harley

well, I am a carpenter . I have tools ,power tools and a great imagination. Itd be nice if I could use a router and make some sort of jig. Finding the bit might be a problem. Its not impossible , might just take me a while to figure it out.

Gdaddy

well, I am a carpenter . I have tools ,power tools and a great imagination. Itd be nice if I could use a router and make some sort of jig. Finding the bit might be a problem. Its not impossible , might just take me a while to figure it out.

It's a tricky project. The correct mold has very tight/close tolerance to fit the male and female part correctly. It needs to be a very close fit.

I started to think a 3D printer to make the prototype mold and then create the final product using high strength molding plastic. Once you have the master mold you can pop out as many copies as you want.

I'm a believer that plastic is better than wood. The plastic is stronger and more stable and less likely to crack or warp. Wood swells and shrinks. The female side has a thin edge that can chip out on a wood mold. The idea that wood is better because it 'sucks out the moisture' and can prevent mold from occurring is really not true. The cigar is in the mold for a very short time. Even if left over night there is no chance of mold forming on the cigar so it's really not an issue. The slow moisture absorption rate of hard wood for such a short period would have no affect on moisture reduction either.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I agree with Gdaddy on the comparison between wood and plastic. Several major cigar manufacturers are phasing out the wood in favor of plastic. They must have some compelling reasons why.

charlie G.

I have both a wood mold and a single plastic mold like GDaddy posted a picture of. I will say the plastic mold really does make a much smoother bunched cigar. Almost perfectly smooth.
I believe tho that the wood mold does draw extra moisture from the bunched cigars. If you use a med case binder I like the wood mold better. I do think if I ever buy another mold it will be a multi cigar plastic one.

ArizonaDave

I have both a wood mold and a single plastic mold like GDaddy posted a picture of. I will say the plastic mold really does make a much smoother bunched cigar. Almost perfectly smooth.
I believe tho that the wood mold does draw extra moisture from the bunched cigars. If you use a med case binder I like the wood mold better. I do think if I ever buy another mold it will be a multi cigar plastic one.

It's interesting you say that Charlie-G, because I still haven't bought a mold yet. However, I plan on getting one soon.

Smokin Harley

The one member made his mould from Basswood which is a very clean (no knots) ,light and very strong. a fine wood choice for whittlers . I would probably choose basswood for the prototype then go to a more stabile wood like Maple for the actual usable end product.Maple is a very common wood used for cutting boards and furniture , stabile referring to that it doesnt swell and contract with weather or atmospheric changes like pine or oak would ,so that the male and female parts wouldnt bind once together with a little moisture inside(drying bound cigars). It also doesnt have any saps or odors that could (even in a short time in use) be infused to the cigar. Cherry is another excellent stabile wood that could be used also but the availability and cost is a big factor. Mahogany I think could be used and maybe was since it is a wood used for watercraft and therefore also very stabile and generally deters mold and rot for many years of use. All three would have a great strength factor and normally wouldn't chip out on the sharp edges very easily. Although some minimal chipping adds to its patina .

Smokin Harley

I agree with Gdaddy on the comparison between wood and plastic. Several major cigar manufacturers are phasing out the wood in favor of plastic. They must have some compelling reasons why.
I'm sure due to cost and ease of making new ones. a die or mould for churning out plastic is much more durable than changing cutting heads to make wooden units. Plastic is cheap and recyclable. wood is natural and over time warps and the amount of raw lumber having to be inspected and sorted only to use 50% of the lumber to get knot free ,split,check,cupped,etc. lumber.
end point, plastic is much more cost effective

Status
Not open for further replies.