Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Do you need to bag your tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
For those of you that think they don't need to bag their flower heads to prevent cross pollination. Read this little blurb from "The yearbook of Agriculture", 1961

The tobacco flower tends to be self-pollinated, but self-pollination is not sufficiently assured to make protection unnecessary when pure seeds are desired. The actual amount of natural crossing has been found to vary from season to season and from location to location and with the degree of isolation. Three years of systematic tests in 1956, 1957, and 1958, in which two marker-carrying gene varieties planted adjacently and at distances of one-twentieth, one-tenth, one-fourth, and one-half mile, showed most crossing in adjacent plantings, and the greatest distance did not always prevent crossing.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Does that mean if greater than .5 miles and you are clear? Cause that would mean I wouldn't have to bag if I use only 1 strain.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
SmokesAhoy,
...one-half mile, ...the greatest distance did not always prevent crossing.

I would say that if you, in fact, are certain that no neighbor within 1/2 mile is growing tobacco of any kind, then you're probably alright. Transmission at that distance is thought to be enabled by Manduca moths (tobacco hornworm).

One point to consider is that bagged blossom heads are much less likely to be exposed to tobacco budworm infestation.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
SmokesAhoy,

I would say that if you, in fact, are certain that no neighbor within 1/2 mile is growing tobacco of any kind, then you're probably alright. Transmission at that distance is thought to be enabled by Manduca moths (tobacco hornworm).

One point to consider is that bagged blossom heads are much less likely to be exposed to tobacco budworm infestation.

Bob

Another point to consider is that because tobacco blossoms are so prolific you don't need to bag many to have a LOT of seeds. I bagged one CT Shade blossom last year and got about two teaspoons of seed. I gave lots of it away.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.