Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brown Thumbs, 2015 Ramblings and Babbling Grow Thingie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Can't speak for the potting soil, but I have used the Baccto Peat mix the last two years with great results. It is more like a mix of peat and loam to me, very finely graded, no chunks or bark. I kind of feel it lacks nutrients though, so this year I am using their "veggie mix" for the bottom 2/3 and topping with the finer graded Peat mix.14245731235530.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
I used that before and seedlings get started good with a long tap root and decent roots but then ran out of juice. It makes for real easy trans plant since it is so fine.I think it is a good starter but to transplant again from mine experience with it. I don't think mine had the peat and loam. It was like black sand almost.

Brown Thumb

Can't speak for the potting soil, but I have used the Baccto Peat mix the last two years with great results. It is more like a mix of peat and loam to me, very finely graded, no chunks or bark. I kind of feel it lacks nutrients though, so this year I am using their "veggie mix" for the bottom 2/3 and topping with the finer graded Peat mix.View attachment 14747
That might be why it struck my brain when searching potting soil. I think I looked for it last yr. when I had the mold issues.
I went looking for it today nowhere to be found so I decided on
Black Gold from my local doitbest.
Doitbest online carries the Battco But would not ship to store for some reason.
I got to the store and Don the owner greeted me, You can't get in this store without someone asking to help you out even if they know you know the store better than them.
I told him my about the ship to store thing with the Battco soil and he went and checked it out and came back saying it was because the local werehouse dident stock it.
BUT has another connection and could check it for me if I had A coupe of minutes. Check it out I told him.
He comes back with papers in his hand and presents them to me in color also, of the Battco soil product I was after.
On one page was a 25 pounder for like 6.25 bucks and the other page was a 50 pounder was like 7.89 bucks.
Now that is Dirt Cheap, ordered two 50 pounders. I will get them Friday.
I won't ask for my 20% store discount on this one.
I grabbed a bag of Black Gold all purpose to compare to also.
Really, I would have felt guilty walking out the store empty handed after Don hooked me up.
Service like this is one thing you don't get anymore unless there name is Don.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown Thumb

This bag of Black Gold potting soil is really nice soil.
Fluffy, Airy, Moist, and has no smell.
It does have some chunks of stems ect but not much.
Don @ Doitbest said he brought this product into the store due to complaints about Miracle Gro. DBA as Scotts.
I will never use another Scotts product again.
Anyone use this Black Gold potting soil?
image.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that soil looks good. plenty of perlite. to hold the moisture,,,, [ i use sawdust,,, just me rednecking it ]

i just like the vermiculite on top. because a small seed. is '' A EASY THING TO LOOSE''..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I tried making my own last year. I Failed.

it's o.k.

i fully understand....

you need a p.h.d. in bootieology. to know how to mix some soil..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

on a side note. im going to georgia tomorrow '' right by my favorite, '' cotton gin '' place''

gonna load up on some more soil building material... [ the rotten by-product from there is awesome.]

DGBAMA

The Baccto soil should impress. I "screen" all the soil going into my starting trays to remove big stuff. The peat mix has basically no waste, and the Veggie Mix has a little bit of bark pieces. I would expect the potting soil to be in between.

Brown Thumb

In Between would be nice, I did 3 flats with the gold soil tonight,
pretty nice stuff.
These 32 cell deep inserts are awesome. Just right for me.
I got the Hickory Pryor transplanted and ran out of the gold dirt.
The seed took off like wildfire. Less than 7 days and I got Cheeta pets.
I got one sprout from the grow out seed so far?
image.jpg

Brown Thumb

I was transplanting tonight and was getting pissed off at the Chita Pets. I wanted to transplant before they got 1/4 inch tall.
I took a spray bottle of water and took a chunk of the starts out of the container sprayed the roots good.
It Makes life a little easier.

DGBAMA

My grow out seed has been low germination too. Not sure why, maybe the manila packaging and automated post office machines?

Brown Thumb

I finished transplanting all the starts today.
I saw some I transplanted earlier in the week were starting to bend towards the light.
I figured I need some light diffusers. Could not think of anything laying around and my roofer buddy is out of town or I would grab some flashing off him.
Forgot I had this 1/4 in foam wrapping that we get bumper covers in from the factory.
Quick and easy. It Should hold some heat in also.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

Even though the foam doesn't keep all of the light in, it looks like a very effective solution. It also looks really cool.

Maybe I don't understand light physics, maybe someone can comment, but with the green ones, because we see green, everything else was either reflected back at the plants, or absorbed by the foam and radiated as heat... Therefore, since plants generally don't use green wavelengths, but do use blue, the plants under the blue won't grow as well as the ones under the green. ??

Brown Thumb

Interesting Observation I never even thought of that.
I know about plastic mulch colors for planting.
Being the lights are inside I never gave that a thought.
I guess we will find out.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My basement temps are around 66F. Since I started using the heated propagation mats, I've noticed that my seedlings no longer get leggy, even though my lights start off 4" away from the plants instead of the recommended 2". That started me wondering if the plants are reaching for the heat from the light source, instead of the light itself? It would be an interesting experiment to try with some left over starts. Since I seed direct to the cells, I don't have left over starts.

Brown Thumb

I read with tomatoes and peppers if leggy pull the mats out if they have enough light. Cold slows them down.

Brown Thumb

I got some of the dreaded Baccy Killer mold on my gold dollar starts.
I used the mericle grow soil from last yr. to start them in. Fresh out of a new Bag I got for free last yr, replacing the other disasters.
The transplants look fine tho. In the trash it went.
If it happens again this yr. I will just call it Quits.
image.jpg

DGBAMA

The Baccto soil has given me some green (algae?) Seems harmless, but never any of that furry mold stuff.

Brown Thumb

The Baccto soil has given me some green (algae?) Seems harmless, but never any of that furry mold stuff.
Before last yr. never had this problem.
So far all is fine with different dirt.
It looks like the Baccto is doing better than the Black Gold for starting the transplants in.

Status
Not open for further replies.