Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Getting ready to grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepidmac

Hey folks,

I wanted to share this with you. I started to get ready while I'm waiting for my seeds to arrive. This is my first grow, so figuring it out as I go. I was inspired by this blog but didn't want to spend a lot of cash or too much time. I have a lot of PVC laying around which I use for various projects and wondered if it would work for a frame for my grow light. It does. This thing took only a matter of minutes to figure out and put together, (the chop saw made fast work for the cutting). I got the cheapy shop light from Walley World and the bulbs from Lowes. I used the chain included with the light and zip ties to secure it to the PVC. The light is adjustable from right above uncovered trays to about 22 inches. I used sch 40 PVC for the thickness and basically made an a frame. It breaks down for storage if need be. It's extremely light and portable.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3124.JPG
    DSCN3124.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3123.JPG
    DSCN3123.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 50

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You can do that with four fittings (two tees and two elbows) instead of twelve. Single thicker pipe. The savings from the fittings and single pipe will pay for the larger diameter pipe (stiffer) with money left over. I also don't think you'll ever use the whole 22" height. Shorter legs are stiffer legs. Other than that, great job. :)

intrepidmac

True, but I have this stuff laying around. None of this is glued together so can be reused, rebuilt at any time. The height was only to allow for expansion at the base for stability. Not sure what you mean by the single pipe. I made it this way to be free standing. Thanks for the input.

intrepidmac

You can do that with four fittings (two tees and two elbows) instead of twelve. Single thicker pipe. The savings from the fittings and single pipe will pay for the larger diameter pipe (stiffer) with money left over. I also don't think you'll ever use the whole 22" height. Shorter legs are stiffer legs. Other than that, great job. :)

You mean something like this? What a great idea, thanks. Guess that's what I get for trying to make something at 3:30 in the morning. Took only seconds to build...spent more time trying to figure out how to insert the pic.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3128.JPG
    DSCN3128.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 39

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's probably better than what I had in mind, like Bob, I was thinking kid's swing set style. Just that the legs would be slightly offset if viewed straight on. I like yours better.

DonH

You probably want to get the lights closer to the plants or else they'll grow leggy.

intrepidmac

You probably want to get the lights closer to the plants or else they'll grow leggy.

Yeh, I will when I get some seeds in and planted. Reading these posts have been really helpful for me. Off to another subject.....my first WLT leaves just arrived.

Brown Thumb

I like it, I just got done putting my grow light setup together also.

Status
Not open for further replies.