Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New from Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Bowman

SW Virginia, three miles from NC, two mile from th
I live in Virginia, three miles from the NC line, about 45 miles nw of Winson-Salem, NC. Got into cigars and pipes last year. A man on a cigar/pipe forum mentioned growing and I ask where a person could get just a few seeds. He sent me plenty. Louisiana Perique (thought that was more a process than a type), Monte Calme Yellow, Connecticut Shade (hope it doesn't have to be shaded), a Maryland, a Virginia, and a Connecticut Broadleaf. I haven't had gum on my hands since I worked at my uncle's barn as a very small boy. Bruck mentioned this site, so I thought I'd glean some of your experience and try to grow and few plants. Wish me luck.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Re: New

Welcome to the forum. Sun grown CT Shade will make a nice binder. It will have to be shade grown to get thin, stretchable wrapper with small veins. If you put your general location in your profile, it will appear on all your posts and we can better answer questions later on. Curing especially depends a lot on location and weather. Check out the tobacco growing FAQ's: http://fairtradetobacco.com/links.php?ab_s=1
Good luck.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Welcome! I have 20 acres down near Victoria. You anywhere near there? As far as the Conn Shade, it will not give you the thin elastic wrapper that you seek if you grow it in full sun.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I've heard that Virginia is an okay place for growing tobacco.

Your first growing season will be fun (and work), and lay a foundation for subsequent grows. Enjoy.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I live in Virginia, three miles from the NC line, about 45 miles nw of Winson-Salem, NC. Got into cigars and pipes last year. A man on a cigar/pipe forum mentioned growing and I ask where a person could get just a few seeds. He sent me plenty. Louisiana Perique (thought that was more a process than a type), Monte Calme Yellow, Connecticut Shade (hope it doesn't have to be shaded), a Maryland, a Virginia, and a Connecticut Broadleaf. I haven't had gum on my hands since I worked at my uncle's barn as a very small boy. Bruck mentioned this site, so I thought I'd glean some of your experience and try to grow and few plants. Wish me luck.
welcome!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Yeah, My brother lives in Gordonsville and although it's a straight shot as the bird flies and it takes almost 2 hours to get to his house.. no direct roads running north.

Status
Not open for further replies.