Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The other Joe's growblog

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemama1024

I decided to take up tobacco growing as a hobby. Only problem is I live in Ithaca, NY (see: http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/16/travel/tourism-site-redirects-traffic/) So I decided some sort of indoor set up would be the way to go.

2 years of penny pinching later - I have set this up in my basement:
photo 2.JPG

36'' by 36'' by 72'' grow tent with 400w light.
photo 2.JPG

The light is ventilated by 2 duct vents:
photo 1.JPG

Below the light I have just sown my seeds! I decided since I'm putting in all this effort, might as well buy tobacco that is hard to find. So I got myself some Mayan Mopan and Gold Leaf Orinoco for my pipe. (anyone tried these strains, they any good?) Added some "Grabba" seeds for cigarette rolling friends, and a few tomato and pepper plants for my non smoking friends. All from some seed banks/swaps.

The seeds were sown in typical peat discs, sprinkled the seeds on top and left them over a heat pad: I figure the tent is big enough to hold 6-9 plants (?) but since I don't know what I am doing, I have sown 24 discs to see what happens.
photo 3.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Currently waiting for them to sprout! The light is not as close as I've read (about 4 feet away) but I figure since its a very strong light, ventilation from up top is more important. The bases of my trays are a bit damp, but should I add more water?

Also feel free to add tips, criticism, etc. This has been a hobby several years in the making, want to get it right!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it's nice but a little '' over kill ' i.m.o.

you could have done the same thing with less money.. by framing a area of your basement up.

and running 2 light's with more space.

what you have there is a mobile marijuana grow room.

thats pretty much what its designed for... but it has many uses,

POGreen

Welcome to the forum !

Try to water from beneath/ down under , let the plants/soil suck the water from down under to the very top , it sort of takes care of itself then. Type a mug/cup with a hole in the bottom. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome.

You should be able to transplant to outdoors by mid May, leaving plenty of time for a good harvest before first freeze.

Bob

joemama1024

I see what you mean for sure, I looked up how to make a DIY one for about half the cost, I was a bit offput by the assembly required in that one, and "hanging" reflective foil doesn't seem as permanent as I would like.

Really, I'm just lazy :)

JOE1977

There can be only one!:cool:

All joking aside, are you looking to grow them completely in the tent and not out doors? I can't wait to see the results of a controlled grow.

joemama1024

There can be only one!:cool:

All joking aside, are you looking to grow them completely in the tent and not out doors? I can't wait to see the results of a controlled grow.

I'm probably moving back to Virginia sometime in may so it seems unfair to the plants NOT to move them out into the luscious, freedom laced, soil of the tobacco state.

edit: though that said, if I decide to go hydroponics It might be interesting to see how they fair completely controlled!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tweezers.

There are times when the magnification of reading glasses is helpful, even if you're too young to need them for reading. I use 1.5 for reading, but have some 3.0 for fine detail work.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I love your screen name. My wife has been falling for "How's Joe?" for thirty years. The trick is to space it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.