Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Winter time blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Back a week ago we received almost 14 inches of snow . Temps 22 below . It warmed up to and snowed a heavy wet snow and then turned to rain . The snow soaked up the water and became heavy on roofs .
My greenhouse plastic went first then a hay hoop barn of mine went boom and down it went . Breaking off the 6 x 6 treated post at the top of the concrete . I guess I am lucky no one was in the barn and that I did not park my tractor in there like I usually did . I had it parked at my big tobacco barn so I could plug in the engine heater so it would be easily started during the cold winter . Now they say we are going to get another round . Will this madness ever stop . I am ready for spring .
DSCN4244 (640x480).jpgDSCN4251 (640x480).jpg

bonehead

i think in ct. we will be able to go icefishing for opening day of the fishing season. it snowed last night and is going to snow more tonight.

indianjoe

Founding Member
BB,
sorry to hear about your greenhouse and hay barn. Down here people are scrambling to scratch up enough hay to last another month or two. Yesterday was 82 and tomorrow predicted 38, its been crazy.

DIY Pete

Beautiful day here if you enjoy sunny and single digit temps with a strong NW wind. On the plus side we have about average snowfall which I am thankful for.

Pete

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigB, sorry about the greenhouse and hay barn. 14" of snow is kind of unusual for the area isn't it? How long before you need the greenhouse?

High today 73F, high tomorrow 39F, low 24F. I remember March weather when I used to live down south in Alabama... hey, waitaminnit, I STILL live down south in Alabama!!

BigBonner

Founding Member
The problem was not the 14 inches of snow but the wet heavy snow one morning that changed to rain . I lost my barn and some neighbors have a lot of damage to theirs . My barn was bigger and wider than theirs .

I will need the greenhouse the last part of March . Right now it is a warm 35 degrees but the temperatures are supposed to fall to 15 for a low tonight with rain changing to snow .

charlie G.

Someone must have pissed off "Mother Nature" It's seems it's been a strange winter threw out the whole country this year.
I'm ready for spring. I wonder what the total cost of losses do to this winter will be in the country.

Brown Thumb

That is a bummer, Up here it has been a really tough winter.
Oil bills threw the roof, Electric bills the same, Frozen water lines and air lines in the shop blowing out.
No place to put the snow, Ice, crap.
Being self employed SUCKS.
I Hope you got ins. that is willing to pay full cost replacement.
Good Luck, And have a Super Harvest this yr.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well if it's any consolidation,

us florida natives got real cold this year also... been a while since my area has had a '' cold '' winter.

but on a floridian side note ; we dont get to wear our jacket's very often. and look forward to sporting them in wal - mart

Brown Thumb

This better be over, I am tired and beat up from this winter.
Barley have the energy to transplant after cleaning up this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.