Most Powerful Battleship Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
800px-Musashi1944.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Musashi

A brief news story told of the discovery this week of the WWII Japanese battleship, Musashi, in 3000 feet of water off the Philippines. The search was funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

Mildly curious about this--I had never heard of the ship, I looked for some details.

It turns out that the Musashi, flagship of the Japanese fleet, was only one of two Yamato class ships ever built. These two ships were the most powerful and fearsome battleships ever built. At its launch, the Mushasi generated a 3 foot tsunami in Nagasaki harbor, flooding homes and capsizing fishing vessels.

This ship carried nine 18-inch big guns (the largest ever mounted on a naval vessel). That 18" is the diameter of the projectile, and could launch armor-piercing shells over 25 miles.

In addition to the nine big guns, this floating fortress also mounted 164 other guns of various sizes, along with 7 catapult-launched float planes. At the waterline, armor was 16" thick steel. Space within the hull was divided into more than 1000 water-tight compartments.

At the time construction began on the Musashi (1938), the notion that such a beast could be vulnerable to carrier-based aircraft had not been considered (a fanciful notion not really proven until well into the war).

Wikipedia.org said:
Musashi was sunk by an estimated 19 torpedo and 17 bomb hits from American carrier aircraft on 24 October 1944 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Over half of her crew was rescued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Musashi

Bob

darren1979

First Time Grower
I've never heard of the ship to be honest. 18inch guns on a ship is huge nevermind 9 of them, I bet the ship rolled when they were fired.
What does Paul Allen plan to do on finding this beast? I hope they leave it alone.

ArizonaDave

19 Torpedo and 17 bomb hits is a LOT of hits to sink a ship. I'm sure there were a lot of vessels that went down with one hit. The Musashi must have been a monster.

BigBonner

Founding Member
My question is , what the cost was to build it in 1938 and how much it would cost today ?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the japennese was a formidiable oppotent to the u.s. during that war.

they had the citizens backing what the whole country did during the time of war....how do you defeat a '' population.?''

plus japan is the only country i know of... that has a '' specific '' time of war flag... the '' battleflag ''

the country has 2 flags. . one for peace time.. and one for wartime.

Status
Not open for further replies.