Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

little help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuburnH

Lights turned off... Temp got below desired... seeds in 2-28.. rough guess 5 hours of 34-36 degree. Is this a punt situation( start over) or wait, pray and see what happens....have plenty of time and seeds to start over if needed...
icon12.png

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Look at as an opportunity. You get to start more seeds and if the first ones sprout, you can compare the differences throughout the entire growing season. If the first seeds grow 6' leaves, everyone will be following your new starting technique.

Looking forward to reading your grow blog.

Brown Thumb

Good Question, I was wondering the same thing.
I picked up my Bags of Baccto soil today and a worker put them in my car.
My boy took them out of the car and filled the trays.
He was cleaning up the dirt mess and had a bunch of clumps and asked him about them.
Frozen soil he said. I just planted 200 plants into. Lets see if they survive.
Good Luck on your Grow.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you have plenty of seed, it won't hurt to just over seed what you already have. Use the seedlings you need or thin out later as necessary, depending on your starting method. If the first seed are good, no loss. If they are bad and you wait another week to verify, you will have wasted two weeks. Best of luck.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob's theory: If the seeds have germinated enough to show at least a small radicle, then freezing will kill them. If temps never fell to freezing, then they just slow down until the soil temp warms up. Freezing ungerminated tobacco seed seems to have little or no impact on germination.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think the seed will make it, but why wait, I would start a new grow and save the old one.. When its time you have mere plants and don't need to grow everyone..

DGBAMA

Bob's theory: If the seeds have germinated enough to show at least a small radicle, then freezing will kill them. If temps never fell to freezing, then they just slow down until the soil temp warms up. Freezing ungerminated tobacco seed seems to have little or no impact on germination.

Bob

+1, as long as they did not freeze they should be fine.

ArizonaDave

Lights turned off... Temp got below desired... seeds in 2-28.. rough guess 5 hours of 34-36 degree. Is this a punt situation( start over) or wait, pray and see what happens....have plenty of time and seeds to start over if needed...
icon12.png

I did something similar, but not quite as cold. Tobacco seeds can be kept in a refrigerator for longer storage, so it doesn't damage seeds. The main thing is if you want them to sprout, it has to be warmer. Even tobacco plants can brave cooler temperatures, and I had some Little Dutch bonsai's that braved an Arizona frost untouched. They seem to brave some unusually hot days as well, although over *105 F, the leaves can look wilted, but perk back up in the evening.

AuburnH

Gentlemen, thanks for the comments, advice... this morning I see sprouts on Conn BL, Goose Creek, and Va Gold....looks like they decided to make it...Let the fun begin....

DGBAMA

Gentlemen, thanks for the comments, advice... this morning I see sprouts on Conn BL, Goose Creek, and Va Gold....looks like they decided to make it...Let the fun begin....

Congrats. Make sure the top of the soil stays moist the first couple weeks and you will be fine. At this stage they die easily if they dry out. After that, they are hard to kill and can survive almost anything except a hard freeze.

Brown Thumb

Good Luck, The Sprouts I planted in the frozen soil survived also.

Status
Not open for further replies.