Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Thoughts on a wooden built kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
Check on the composition of the foam board. I know that the thinner pieces [celotex 3/4"] used to emit harmful gasses or chemicals when burned or exposed to high heat. I didn't know home depot had the 2" thick panels, I want some for underneath my floor. Good luck on your new kiln. I would just use some good deck screws to fasten prefab panels for easy dissasembly. You could also consider applying a strip of thin foam tape where panels join to prevent leaks and eliminate any caulking.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You'll definitely want some gasket material. When the foam is cut or snapped it has a very course surface.

Last edited:

Smokin Harley

Bob, I'm a union carpenter and I come up with some neat ideas for home use as well. Most things you want to build dont require any specialty tools. You could build these panels as you designed which look fine (the knee brace is upside down), but a nice way to build a quick knock down is put butt hinges on the outside corners. when you want to take it apart simply pull the hinge pins. The top and bottom will keep it square . Material choice , you just need to keep in mind how much weight is being supported inside which I'm thinking 1/2 -5/8 plywood would be just fine. Line with foil faced foam,if you need a tight moisture seal, seal the corners with the tape used to seal tyvek housewrap.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thursday Thoughts

I've made some changes.

• The depth (external) has increased from 24" to 26".
  • All the foam panels will be simply screwed to the wood frame, after the frame is assembled.
  • By removing the top, bottom and back foam pieces, the frame can be disassembled.
  • All screws are phillips head 3" deck screws.
  • Foam mounting screws are backed by washers.
I haven't yet worked out the door latching or the method of hanging leaf strings. A wood plank will simply rest on the bottom, to separate the Crockpot from the bottom foam.

KilnFrame20150311_02.JPG

kilnDetail03.jpg

Bob

cigarchris

Be careful if you use treated plywood, I think they still use arsenic in that. Not sure if it would transfer to the leaf during curing, but could be dangerous.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Bob, I'm a union carpenter and I come up with some neat ideas for home use as well. Most things you want to build dont require any specialty tools. You could build these panels as you designed which look fine (the knee brace is upside down), but a nice way to build a quick knock down is put butt hinges on the outside corners. when you want to take it apart simply pull the hinge pins. The top and bottom will keep it square . Material choice , you just need to keep in mind how much weight is being supported inside which I'm thinking 1/2 -5/8 plywood would be just fine. Line with foil faced foam,if you need a tight moisture seal, seal the corners with the tape used to seal tyvek housewrap.

What a wonderful idea. Just knock out the hinge pins and the box is broken down. How sturdy would the box be if built of 1/2" plywood on the outside, with the foam screwed to the plywood from the inside, with two hinges at every corner as the only attachment between the walls? (4'x4'x2' box size) Furring strips around the door opening for the weatherstrip to seal to, and door attachment would be easier than with an internal frame. Very intriguing post.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think with all these hinges you are going to have a lot of leakage unless you plan to tape your seams and then just use the hinges as a convenient way to knock down your kiln for storage.
For my bottom I just put that piece down first and then put the box on top. The weight of the box with the tobacco in it put enough pressure on the bottom to keep a good seal. For the top I also just laid it on top of the box. I would get some leakage so I would place a few weights on top to seal it.

BarG

Founding Member
You can buy weatherstrip tape at some auto parts 1/2"-1 1/2" wide for around auto doors and windows., Home depot may supply it. You can stick it on 2x's where the panels join together. Also camper suppliers use to put under camper shells to truck. That way you won't have to cut and retape seams if you use foil tape when you knock it down and reassemble.

Smokin Harley

Be careful if you use treated plywood, I think they still use arsenic in that. Not sure if it would transfer to the leaf during curing, but could be dangerous.
most treated wood nowadays is arsenic free but the replacement chemical they use is im sure far from food grade . I'd stick with white wood . Its not going to contact the ground or be subject to the weather. Stay away from OSB or anything else with glue . Any fumes that would emanate with heat would go right into the leaf and more than likely cause someone to be very sick . Think of it this way...would you like to smell it if it was burnt, or lick it? would you like to chew on it? if the answer is no, best not to use it. white wood , make tight joinery and use mechanical fasteners(screws) preferably stainless steel.

BarG

Founding Member
Exterior solid wood such as treated pine [Wolmanized] is treated with copper arsenate. Ground contact is sent back and double treated. It is to kill and to deter pests. mainly termites. I have no idea what chemicals they use to stop it from rotting though. The way you are designing I doubt you will have to worry about moisture affecting your frame construction. I have a few thousand board ' of white oak but that would make an expensive kiln.

Smokin Harley

What a wonderful idea. Just knock out the hinge pins and the box is broken down. How sturdy would the box be if built of 1/2" plywood on the outside, with the foam screwed to the plywood from the inside, with two hinges at every corner as the only attachment between the walls? (4'x4'x2' box size) Furring strips around the door opening for the weatherstrip to seal to, and door attachment would be easier than with an internal frame. Very intriguing post.
Hey Knuck, I was going through some old posts when I ran across this one...the size you asked about is the exact size I built with similar if not exact materials. 1/2" ply 4x4x2 finished size, with 1 inch foil faced foam interior,aluminum tape sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.