Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DIY kiln tobacco traits and settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishot

I just recently started trying to process my own tobacco, and it's the seemingly most simple questions that I have the hardest time finding answers to. The most pressing is......should my tobacco be moist? That is, should it be in case or pliable during the fermenting process. I simply cannot achieve this with the recommended settings of 70-80% humidity and 110-125 degrees! It stays as dry as a bone and brittle. I've experimented with these settings and it stays this brittle down to a 95 degree temp. Is it still curing regardless of moisture content? This novice would appreciate any feedback. I'm including a picture below. sorry its sideways! its a mini wine fridge. heated by a heat lamp, with one of those Johnson controllers and one of those fairly large Oasis II humidifiers. My temp and humidity settings stay constant. My concern is getting the best quality tobacco in the most efficient manner.
image.jpg

chuditch

have a look at the post I put on with my kiln and all the bits I am using and it is working perfectly.
The temp stays right where its supposed to and so is the humidity and the leaves are just this wondrous pliable feel to them and when I check them with the moisture meeter they are at 17 to 18% moisture which from what I have read is perfect and no mould at all so far anyway. This is my first year so no experience just lots or research on here from others posts and other information have gleaned from the internet

ChinaVoodoo

I just recently started trying to process my own tobacco, and it's the seemingly most simple questions that I have the hardest time finding answers to. The most pressing is......should my tobacco be moist? That is, should it be in case or pliable during the fermenting process. I simply cannot achieve this with the recommended settings of 70-80% humidity and 110-125 degrees! It stays as dry as a bone and brittle. I've experimented with these settings and it stays this brittle down to a 95 degree temp. Is it still curing regardless of moisture content? This novice would appreciate any feedback. I'm including a picture below. sorry its sideways! its a mini wine fridge. heated by a heat lamp, with one of those Johnson controllers and one of those fairly large Oasis II humidifiers. My temp and humidity settings stay constant. My concern is getting the best quality tobacco in the most efficient manner.
View attachment 14814

I used light bulbs in a cooler. It worked well once I worked out the kinks. It required either a select choice of multiple small Watt bulbs, or a rheostat to get the heat right.

In yours, I see a problem. The light will be cooking one side, and the other will be significantly cooler. I recommend allowing air to flow around and below the tobacco as well as putting a fan in side to circulate the air fast enough to keep the distribution of hheat even.

ChinaVoodoo

Also, I recommend either a humidifier with a humidity controller, or put the tobacco in a sealed container within the kiln. This will help you keep the humidity constant. Just be sure to rotate the leaves /container so you don't have wet spots that would ferment differently and possibly mold.

nishot

Do you mean a different humidifier other than the Oasis II down there at the bottom of kiln?

nishot

So glad I found a place like this, with such a wealth of knowledge from like minded people! Thanks for all your suggestions so far. You have given me some things to consider.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco leaf will not ferment when dry. It's just idle time, regardless of the kiln temp.

There are two major determinants of the humidity, once you're at a stable kiln temp (~125ºF):
  • input of moisture to the kiln
  • escape of moisture from the kiln
Without examining the details of your setup, I can say with certainty that the escape of moisture exceeds the input. Could be inadequate supply, but is more likely a leaky kiln.

Fermenting in sealed jars eliminates that, but is only useful for shredded tobacco. As a test, start with a filled humidifier, close the door, then completely seal the closure with tape. If the humidity stays up, then leakage is the problem. Where the electrical cords pass the gasket may be the primary leak. Once you identify the nature of the problem (e.g. leakage), then you can devise a more convenient sealing method.

All that having been said, if the insulation is inadequate, then the kiln requires a greater heat source to maintain a stable temp. This can result is increased kiln leakage, since the heat always acts as a thermodynamic pump, to drive moisture out of the kiln.

• good insulation
  • good seal
  • heat from the bottom for convective airflow
  • consider adding a small computer fan

Bob

nishot

Ill try these things. The computer fan has already come to mind and I'm trying to figure out how to wire it up to the DC plug-in, on the Oasis II's digital readout. Sometimes I wonder if things are really this complicated or we just make them that way:) Thanks Bob, and everyone else too!

bonehead

Ill try these things. The computer fan has already come to mind and I'm trying to figure out how to wire it up to the DC plug-in, on the Oasis II's digital readout. Sometimes I wonder if things are really this complicated or we just make them that way:) Thanks Bob, and everyone else too!
i have a oasis 2 xl and i got the two fan add on kit that plugs into the controller. the fans really help keep large cabinets evenly hydrated.

chuditch

When I did the trial with my small foam box kiln I used a computer fan which I attached to a 12 volt battery and left if running 24/7 only need to put the battery on charge once a week such a small draw and now in the big kiln using a bathroom exhaust fan to create air movement and leave that running 24/7 as well it only draws 32 watts.

nishot

Just curious, how long have you had your oasis? You run it continuously? Mine has since I got it 6 months ago. Just wondering what to expect as far as service life goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.