Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mold on midrib?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewinHooligan

Just got in my first order from WLT late last week. Upon opening up the PA Oscuro I noticed what looks to be mold growing on several of them. I emailed them and Bob responded within an hour Friday night (awesome service and locked me in as a lifetime customer) advising me to come here and post up a picture and ask for the collective wisdom of how to handle. What would y'all suggest?
image.jpg

Matty

It's not too clear, if I had to guess I'd say no, it is not mold but instead it is probably salts and or minerals crystallizing on the surface which is normal. However, if it is fluffy, hairy or spongy looking it is probably mold. Sometimes it is hard to tell the two apart in cases where the minerals and salts are heavy enough to look like a hairy buildup in which case only experience can tell them apart. If you are worried at all just cut the bad parts away and throw them out.

BrewinHooligan

It is indeed fluffy and hairy. It doesn't appear to have spread past the mid rib to the leaf so I will just remove and discard. Thank you for the fast response!

Brown Thumb

That is uncommon for Bobs Leaf. But being at the end of the leaf where it is the hardest to dry.
I would think this would happen from time to time.
Bob stands behind his products.
Welcome to the forum,
I think you were talking to Don, not Bob, I mixed them up all the time too:
Enjoy, BT

Matty

Yes, the midrib holds a lot of moisture and is usually always the first place for mold to start. Thing is, without the midrib present during the leafs sale and purchase the leaf is considered a tobacco product and taxes are applied as needed.

BrewinHooligan

The base of the leaf where the photo shows is much lighter than the tip, also the underside the picture shows is lighter than the top side. It is a fantastic looking, sparkly leaf and I can't wait to taste it.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I think you mean Don not Bob, I would strip the midrib and wipe the leaf with some vinegar to remove the mould and allow to dry, it'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.