Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing Okra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I would plant about 50. One good row of okra goes a long way. They can be very close together, I sow seeds like peas when planting okra. They make great blossoms. By having a lot of plants you have a continuous supply of young tender shoots throughout the summer.

Smokin Harley

think green beans or yes like the stealth zucchini ...the tiny fruit you see today will need to be picked tomorrow or the next day.

I pickle mine . My mother takes what her and dad cant eat right away and cuts it to 1/2 inch slices, freeze loose on a sheet pan then put in a baggie when frozen, then when they wants some she takes a handful or two out , thaw a little , coat in egg wash and corn meal and fried.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I pickle mine . My mother takes what her and dad cant eat right away and cuts it to 1/2 inch slices, freeze loose on a sheet pan then put in a baggie when frozen, then when they wants some she takes a handful or two out , thaw a little , coat in egg wash and corn meal and fried.

I love fried veggies. Squash, okra, green tomatoes. That's some good eating.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll bet that if you boiled okra to nothing (several hours) in minimal water, then passed it through a strainer (not a filter), it would make usable cigar glue.

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hey Bob! Okra - - - A terrific plant, we grow some plants every year. One thing to keep in mind that we've learned, if you have any chance of cooler than normal nights (not specifically freezing) cover them up for the night with a tarp or painters plastic to keep a micro climate active over night, any flowers that haven't turned to pods can get too cold and rot off.

Also, these plants can be quite susceptible to disease/bugs. Ours caught a form of blight, along with the tomatos, and the ants absolutely love weakened plants. Good luck with the grow!

Status
Not open for further replies.