Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuditch

next season for me with that. But my cigarette tobacco has been coming out magnificent. I notice you keep yours in plastic bags I have been leaving mine loose on the racks and they are holding moisture just nice. Maybe because using a chest rather than an upright? I have found now that I just walk past and look at the LED read outs and not even open the lid as my confidence builds as to what is happening inside so is certainly not labour intensive for me. From what I have read it should be fermented in 4 weeks but recommendation is to leave it for 6. Will that be the same for your cigar leaf?

Ben Brand

Oooohh the sweet smell of fermenting tobacco!!!
I opened some off my bags last night, after only 3 days of fermentation, just to check on the tobacco, and the smell was heavenly, no strong ammonia smell almost a sweet cigar smell.
Got a new fermentation fridge, the old one got a bit rusted and went to the fridge graveyard. The new one seals much better, running at a constant 65 deg C/ 72% humidity. Very pleased with myself. What did that boss man always say in the A TEAM. I love it when a plan comes together!!!!

rainmax

Founding Member
I was fermenting tobacco at 50-55 deg C/ 80% previous years and from my experience the temperature was to high. Leaves lost its leathery end elasticity. So this year I Started with low temp. and rising it slowly up to 45 and no more,.. for one month. That was for cigar tobacco. I intend to age this tobacco and I will make another fermentation soon, hope.
Tobacco is much more pliable, oily,...to high temp break apart my good tobacco in the past...

ArizonaDave

Oooohh the sweet smell of fermenting tobacco!!!
I opened some off my bags last night, after only 3 days of fermentation, just to check on the tobacco, and the smell was heavenly, no strong ammonia smell almost a sweet cigar smell.
Got a new fermentation fridge, the old one got a bit rusted and went to the fridge graveyard. The new one seals much better, running at a constant 65 deg C/ 72% humidity. Very pleased with myself. What did that boss man always say in the A TEAM. I love it when a plan comes together!!!!

Hahaha, I just quoted that same phrase about 10 minutes ago in a private e-mail, before getting on here! Glad to hear your tobacco is fermenting nicely!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
45ºC (113ºF) is low enough to allow vegetative growth of mold. Keep an eye out.

I always aim for 125ºF (~51-52ºC) for 4 weeks. No mold, and excellent results.

Bob

chuditch

my kiln is at 48 C so as I am right in the middle between the two of you I must have it right :) I am at week 5 now and no mould or fungus growth

CT Tobaccoman

I was fermenting tobacco at 50-55 deg C/ 80% previous years and from my experience the temperature was to high. Leaves lost its leathery end elasticity. So this year I Started with low temp. and rising it slowly up to 45 and no more,.. for one month. That was for cigar tobacco. I intend to age this tobacco and I will make another fermentation soon, hope.
Tobacco is much more pliable, oily,...to high temp break apart my good tobacco in the past...

Just my 2 cents here. I worked in Conn Shade. We used to bulk it and sweat it at 90 degrees F and 90% humidity. turning the bulks every ten days for about 6 weeks. Now, we sweat it in 100lb bales inside cardboard cartons at about 110F and humidity about 95% for, if I remember correctly, 3 weeks. When finished it is ready to ship to the Dominican and is very uniform in color.

Ben Brand

What I saw this morning, I had some Hab 2000 leaves that was on the green side, just put it in a bag in the fermenting fridge, the green is almost gone, a nice light brown colour!
I also farmed pipe tobacco for one year many moons ago, and pile fermented them. We use to turn the pile when it reached 65 deg C, that`s where I came up with the 65 deg in the fridge.
Last season I use 2x 60W globes, and i struggled to get it up to 65 deg. This season I`m using one 125W globe, the type used for security lights, and it works like a bomb.
In the past the pan I had on the one plate cooker was almost empty in the morning and evening, now I hardly use any water to keep it at 72% humidity, think that was the old fridge that was not to air tight.

chuditch

Opened my Kiln for the first time in over a week must be nearly two weeks and the smell was amazing that is the end of my six weeks ferment but it was the smell that greeted me fantastic worth the effore

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My little temp controller came in yesterday. I'm working on my electricals today. Will post pictures in my kiln thread later. I'm looking forward to the trial run shortly. Then I'll be kilning like the rest of you "big boys".

Ben Brand

I destemmed all my tobacco for fermentation this past week end. What I`ve observed so far.
Dom olor - thick leathery leaves. Pen Broadleaf- Thin leathery, stretchy leaves ( like it a lot). La Palma- Very thin stretchy leaves, almost like my neighbors wife`s silky nickers :cool:.
I just wonder if I must ferment the silky nickers leaves as long as the thick leathery leaves????

CT Tobaccoman

I destemmed all my tobacco for fermentation this past week end. What I`ve observed so far.
Dom olor - thick leathery leaves. Pen Broadleaf- Thin leathery, stretchy leaves ( like it a lot). La Palma- Very thin stretchy leaves, almost like my neighbors wife`s silky nickers :cool:.
I just wonder if I must ferment the silky nickers leaves as long as the thick leathery leaves????

The thinner the leaf, the darker it will get, the longer it is sweated. All tobacco will darken with long hot and humid fermentation. That's how they make "oscuro." The dark wrapper on Macanudo Robust is actually a highest priming CT shade leaf, over fermented. Of course also, the higher the leaf position, the more potential it has to be fermented long enough to get very dark (and thin.)

CT

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As I have pointed out before, upper stalk position leaf acquires its dark color with exposure to the very same temp and duration of fermentation that allows lower stalk position leaf to remain light colored. It's the leaf (that is, the stalk position) that determines how dark it will get, rather than differences in fermentation temp or duration. My oscuro FL Sumatra (upper leaf) is fermented in a way that is identical to that of my light tan lug leaf.

Bob

chuditch

My little temp controller came in yesterday. I'm working on my electricals today. Will post pictures in my kiln thread later. I'm looking forward to the trial run shortly. Then I'll be kilning like the rest of you "big boys".
I am on my second run in the kiln Knuckhead and feeling more positive just walking past looking at the LED read outs. Opened it for the first time since I started it which must be a week now to check my water level and the smell was divine. I have at least twice as much leaf in this time as last and it all seems to be doing nicely the moisture content is right on the money at 18%. After pilfering leaves for cigarettes during the first ferment ended up with 600 grams made it to the end of the ferment from 1000 grams. Shredded it all with the angel hair paster cutter and have it stored in sealed plastic 100 gram tubs. Used the new Powermatic2 cigarette maker and it was so easy to use had a 100 done for my wife in no time flat. looking forward to next season and getting some cigar tobacco done for myself.
Knuckelhead you wont have any problems with the electricals its straight forward leap into it with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.