Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings from Danmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCatman

A jolly big "howdy an' hallo, folks!" from Copenhagen, Denmark: The paradise on earth (accoding to the medias) with approximately five sunny days per year and crazy people like me.

I was guided to this place by the Jitterbugdude as he have heard of my trying to grow tobacco overhere - as well as interested in trying new sorts maybe next season.

Tobacco have been grown in Denmark since 1680 and was at it peak during WWII; it is estimated that in 1941 there were 15,-20,000 tobacco growers in Denmark, but some time after the war cigarettes was again available and less people were growing but it still happens.
In Denmark it was mostly N. Rustica which was used. This is also one of the types I am working with, and on another location I work with N. Tabacum - Virginia.

This is my first season as I wrote, and I am well away to get my "tobabies" into the soil (at least 12 Virginias in the summer cottage and a couple of Rusticas ~90 km away at home) - and is still planing on how to process the harvest...

When it hopefully is finished and ready to be used, it will be in one of my pipes - and... maybe I will try to make a single, ugly cigar or two just the fun of trying it.

bonehead

welcome to the forum. there is plenty of good information and if you need help on something there are many friendly people to help out on specific problems.

CrazyCatman

Glad to see you made it! Welcome
Thank you for telling me about the place! :)

Welcome to the forum, be careful growing tobacco is more additive than smoking I once grew 30 plants and now it is around 4-500 a year
Yeah I can imagine; "luckily" I don't have much space; my little patch of soil can only hold 12 plants (measured!) and I read somewhere that you need to let the soil rest once in a while because the tobacco plants are greedy buggars who really exploit the soil... (true or not?) so I am planing on 12 Virginias there this year - and maybe a few in some big buckets or soil bags, and a few Rusticas ~55 miles/~90 km away in buckets.

Very Welcome to Fair trade Tobacco !
Thank you, neighbour!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to FTT. Tobacco extracts a similar amount of nutrients from the soil as corn and some other common crops. Composted manure or other fertilizers can easily replenish it.

Bob

CrazyCatman

Thank you for the warm welcomes; as Deluxestrogie said; Danmark is just the Danish name for Denmark; I just wrote it there for fun after hitting the a by accident and then let it be there for the fun;
To add more names:
Dania/Danya/Дания in Russian
Danimarka in Turkish
Danimaca in Italian (if I remember correct).

But thank you all :) I really look forward to see what my first season will bring - and especially thank you to my Swedish "neighbours" who might have some experience to share about growing and producing in this climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.