Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Piloto Cubano Seco VS Nicaragua Habano Seco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtravis

Sorry if this was already covered in another thread, but the last time I bought the Sabroso Medio blend was when the Piloto Cubano Seco was in stock.
Now, the order I just got came with the Nicaragua Habano to replace it.

Just wondering how much of a difference it will make in the overall blend - or should I adjust how much I use to better compliment the Criollo 98 Viso?

CT Tobaccoman

Sorry if this was already covered in another thread, but the last time I bought the Sabroso Medio blend was when the Piloto Cubano Seco was in stock.

Just wondering how much of a difference it will make in the overall blend - or should I adjust how much I use to better compliment the Criollo 98 Viso?

I can't say for sure, but I would think the Nic. is stronger. I generally avoid Nicaragua tobacco in favor of Dominican and Honduras, since I like mild to medium cigars and strong cigars usually have a lot of Nic. tobacco in them. Just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

CT

HIM

Ive been blending it recently with Criollo and corojo and really liking the results. To me its more earthy and woody while I get more sweet spice and vanilla from piloto.

Jtravis

I can't say for sure, but I would think the Nic. is stronger. I generally avoid Nicaragua tobacco in favor of Dominican and Honduras, since I like mild to medium cigars and strong cigars usually have a lot of Nic. tobacco in them. Just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

CT

I prefer the same usually. Guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Jtravis

Ive been blending it recently with Criollo and corojo and really liking the results. To me its more earthy and woody while I get more sweet spice and vanilla from piloto.

That sounds nice! What have you been wrapping with?

ArizonaDave

The Piloto Cubano Seco smoothes out a blend, and is a mild filler. The Nic. Habano Seco is a little stronger with woody notes and a little pepper. Both are great, just different. Try one stick with Criollo Viso 2 leaves, and the Rest Nic. Habano Seco, that should be close. Adjust as needed.

HIM

That sounds nice! What have you been wrapping with?

PA Oscuro. Definitely recommend it. Heres the blend....

1 Criollo 98 ligero
1 Nic Habano viso
3 Corojo 99 seco
Dom binder
PA Oscuro wrapper

Jtravis

PA Oscuro. Definitely recommend it. Heres the blend....

1 Criollo 98 ligero
1 Nic Habano viso
3 Corojo 99 seco
Dom binder
PA Oscuro wrapper

Sounds good. Unfortunately my immature stomach couldn't handle Oscuro the only time I tried it. I've only been buying the blend kits but more recently have been interested in coming up with my own.

Jtravis

The Piloto Cubano Seco smoothes out a blend, and is a mild filler. The Nic. Habano Seco is a little stronger with woody notes and a little pepper. Both are great, just different. Try one stick with Criollo Viso 2 leaves, and the Rest Nic. Habano Seco, that should be close. Adjust as needed.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll give it a shot and see.

ArizonaDave

Sounds good. Unfortunately my immature stomach couldn't handle Oscuro the only time I tried it. I've only been buying the blend kits but more recently have been interested in coming up with my own.

Is it possible the Oscuro was over-hydrated? Just wondering, I made a mistake like that when I first started here. It'll turn to a harsh, tangy taste when it sits too long in water turning the leaf bad. I had to throw mine out.
If it was just a taste thing, definitely go with your personal tastes so you can blend the perfect cigar for you!

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll give it a shot and see.
Just adjust for your own taste buds, if it's too strong, just blend down. Maybe try a small corona or two until you achieve the strength you're shooting for. (Wrappers/binders have a more dominating flavor in smaller RG cigars, so keep this in mind).

For those who prefer milder cigars without losing flavor, the Piloto Cubano Seco can definitely be used to tone down a blend while still getting the flavors from stronger leaves. Just use ½ to ¾ in filler and less of the stronger ones. The Piloto should be in soon. I know there's some tobacco that's due any time now that had a slight delay.

For those that Corojo Seco (PCS works too) and want an even burn, try a double binder with it, or as a double under binder. Thicker binders or wrappers should be very dry before storing, but not to the point of cracking.

HIM

Its essentially one of the kit blends with a leaf of Nic Habano added and a broadleaf wrapper. Very nice cocoa, coffee, cream, pepper, nutty character. Reminds me of a Padron.

Are you sure it was the wrapper that got to you and not the strength of the rest of the blend?

Jtravis

I don't think so because it was a blend that I have tried multiple times before, but who knows. I like fuller bodied smokes as well as milder ones, I just need to smoke them outside from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.