Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2004 Conn Shade seed 8212 (corrected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Tobaccoman

I recently found an envelope of Conn Shade seed (line 2025) from the 2004 crop that I worked on. We used this seed for our 2005 crop but had trouble with poor germination, about 75%. We actually re-seeded all our trays after 3 weeks and later culled out the extra plants or transplanted them into empty cells. After this difficult beginning we had an excellent crop with this seed in 2005.

This seed line has good resistance to black shank, black/brown root rot. It also has moderate resistance to blue mold and TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus) at ambient temperatures below 85-90 degrees. It has no resistance inbred against insects, potato or tomato virus. At the time, 2025 was the most widely used seed line for Connecticut Valley Shade Tobacco; and, given the fact that we collected a dozen 5 gal. plastic buckets of it, it is probably still in use.

If I were to use this seed, given that it is 10 years old and has a poor germination rate, I would plan on a worst case scenario of 50% germination.

I'd like to donate some of this to the seed bank, if you want it. Let me know how to donate it.

I will also send it to forum members who send me a self addressed stamped envelope. IM me for my snail mail address.

CT

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Re: 2004 Conn Shade seed 2025

Your best bet would be to find some members to do a grow out and then donate the fresh seed. I'm booked up for this year.

CT Tobaccoman

OK then, anybody who wants to grow some type 2025 Conn Shade seed from the 2004 Conn grown crop IM me and I'll send some seed to you.

CT Tobaccoman

NOTE: This seed is 8212, not 2025. Doubt 2025 exists. Senior Moment, I guess. The Connecticut grower for General Cigar is still using 8212, as probably also Altadis Shade, so they are a currently grown seed. But they are from the 2004 crop. :)

chris m

What is the difference between conn shade and the 8212 Connecticut shade ? I will be helping with this grow out for next year don't think there would be enough time for this to go to seed

CT Tobaccoman

Actually it's 8212 Shade seed from 2004

My apologies to all. Don't know how I mixed up numbers, but the 2004 CT-USA Shade seed is 8212, which is still the most widely used in the Conn Valley shade business. I still have thousands

CT

CT Tobaccoman

chris,

Sorry, my computer is down and will be down for a while. I'll send you the seed, but I guess there is no hurry. There is NO difference between CT Shade and 8212. 8212 seed is the kind of CT Shade is use now in the Connecticut Valley shade farms. There are other seeds in use, but 8212 is the main one--it has immunity and at least partial resistance to common pests and tobacco virus that are common in the Valley. 8212 has been in use far a long time, maybe 15 yrs. So, at present, USA CT Shade is likely to be the 8212 seed.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Thanks for the seed you sent me"CT Tobaccoman" I will grow em next year and then I will donate fresh seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.