Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2015 grow by Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

This year we are having an early spring and I plant to take advantage of this and plant a few weeks earlier than I did last year. Seeds started last week vs April 1st last year. I plan to plant outside Mid May vs June 1st last year in case summer is cut a bit short.

I've got less space to grow this year and will focus on two varieties Swarr and Jalapa just to keep things simple. 18 plants this year about the same as last year,
10 in garden plots and 8 in buckets.

I'll post pics and updates throughout my grow.

bonehead

good luck but watch out for a late freeze. i never heard of what you are growing. what class of tobacco are they? i grow around 75 plants sheet rock spackle or mud buckets and a regular garden with around the same.

buck

No issues with late freeze here, last frost date March 28th usually first frost date around 1st week of November and I plant to be done by the of August/early September. Swarr is a Pennsylvania grown variety , high yield and large leaves. Jalapa is from Nicargua grown in the Jalapa valley. Pretty much all I know about these. Growing for cigar.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I grew Swarr and Jalapa in 2013. I think you'll be pleased with the flavor of both.

buck

I grew both last year but only one swarr and haven't tried it yet but liked how much it produced and leaf quality. Jalapa I grew more of but some molded, haven't tried any of the leaf that I grew last year, its not ready yet.

buck

Sorry for the lack of updates but not much to report. Seedlings are growing, Swarr is dwarfing the Jalapa at this stage.
After about 30 days this is what my Swarr looks like, the Jalapa is about half the size of not smaller, all started at the same time and with the same amount of light and water. This years grow will be about 7 plants of both types, I'll try to find space for a few more, wife took over some of my garden space.

IMG_20150429_190526.jpg

buck

I think that this is the weekend that I put these babies outside, hardened them over the last week in preparation.
Weather man says sunny between 62-71F , low of 53-57F and sunny all week.

Last year I planted in June, started my seedlings April 1st. This year I started them mid March because we were having such good weather I thought I would get ahead of the game.
Thinking about this now it would have been better to plan for June 1 to take advantage of the slightly hotter weather and I would have more than enough time till first frost (November ) to prime and color cure. Two weeks shouldn't make that much of a difference anyway.

IMG_20150512_204642.jpg

Brown Thumb

They look ready, the colder temps won't hurt them. You should be fine.
Good Luck This Yr.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Looks like your off to a good start..

I've also never heard of those strains...I look forward to seeing how they grow...my attempt to do a couple.cigar strains didn't turn out too good

buck

Finished transplanting yesterday .. so I have 8 in buckets (3 Swar, 5 Jalapa), 4 Swar in raised bed , 2 Japala in raised bed and another Swar and 2 Japala mixed in with my garden, not see in the pics. Used 20-10-20 diluted along with some Epson salts and they perked up quickly after transplant. I have five more seedlings that need a home, I'll try and find a spot for them somewhere.

IMG_tobacGround.jpgIMG_tobacfull.jpgIMG_tobacfullAll.jpg

buck

Thanks, I have 5 x 1/2" holes drilled at the bottom of each. My property is at a slant so I rotate the buckets every other watering not to have one side over saturated.
This being my second time growing I find that have not paid much attention to them they just seem to grow on their own with very little watering.
Curing/kilning is the more difficult part.

DGBAMA

Second grow is sooo much easier. Mainly because of knowing what to expect at each stage of the process.

Brown Thumb

They look nice and Healthy.
I have never planted in buckets before but the sole survivor of the growouts is going in a bucket on my back porch.
Looking good there.
Have a great season.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Big plants. You got them off to a good start. This is the first year I don't have "pet" tobacco plants in buckets at the house. I'm going to miss them but my German Shepherd puppy is about 11 months old now and has destroyed all my bucket roses and water hoses. They wouldn't have a chance. He emptied all the buckets in a pile and made a bed in all the dumped out potting soil. Then carried the buckets all over the place playing with them. He doesn't lay there and chew on the water hoses, he just reaches over and bites a 3" long plug out of the middle of them. It's over before you can even say anything. I'll be glad when he grows out of this destructive phase. Best of luck with your grow this year.

buck

Some plants are developing dry thin leaf, mostly bottom leaf, crumbly to the touch.
I don't think I'm over watering , could it be under watering?
I only used fertilizer once just after transplanting.

IMG_20150528_193605.jpgIMG_20150528_193619.jpgIMG_20150528_193632.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Slugs. They sometimes leave white highways across a leaf. Once plants get bigger (i.e. more nicotine), the slugs will leave them alone. Put out some Sluggo (iron phosphate in bran pellets).

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.