Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toasting Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek14

I'm trying to mellow Burley for pipe tobacco. I don't like the "toasty" flavor from baking at all. I've been casing the leaf with honey and stoving it by putting it pretty moist in a bowl in a crock pot full of water and running it on high for hours. The water boils so I guess I'm getting around 212F of moist heat. then I dry it crispy (no oven) and re-moisten. It mellows it a lot but not as much as toasting. No burnt taste however. I have no clue what I'm doing, just trying to get a lot of heat on it for any reactions which might take place.

So, what reactions might be occurring? Any ideas? Am I just getting the reaction while smoking it only?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What is the history of this leaf? Is it home-grown? Is it aged, and how much? Has it been kilned?

The Crockpot/steamy method is likely making it into a Cavendish, which is essentially steam-cooked tobacco.

Bob

EDIT: Straight burley in a pipe requires more of a man than I am.

davek14

It is BlgBonner's "aged Burley", not kilned I believe. It *is* formidable unaltered. I'm mixing it with different stuff. A little Bright Leaf (BB) helps mellow it as well and adds a nice tang. Toasted, it is a nice mixer which takes on the flavors of other stuff. Trying to achieve that without the burnt taste.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've rolled puro cigar from BB's red tip burley, but usually after kilning. In a pipe, I enjoy pure burley in a corncob, but not in a briar. Since corncobs have a much larger diameter smoke hole, I suspect that there is a combustion temperature difference.

At the moment, I'm smoking a bowl of the "Semibreve" blend that I recently posted. It's just half Lemon and half burley Cavendish. It has a bit of a bite when moist, but is tamer when well dried.

Bob

davek14

Right now I'm off work due to carpal tunnel surgery. Just about a week ago I got dextrous in both hands, now I'm working on strength. So now I can tinker light stuff like throwing tobacco together. I'm pretty scattershot at the moment putting things together in small amounts to try with what I have. I'm learning some generalities though. I've learned quite a bit from this site.

One thing which is funny is how quickly the toasted Burley melds. You can add it to a blend and get an idea of taste, and by that evening it has melded quite a bit. Usually a couple days at least is needed to begin to marry.

It's funny you would say that about the cob. I've found the same to be true. I smoke cobs mostly but I often try things in a briar or a clay if they are not stellar at first. It can make a big difference. I always thought the absorptive abilities of the different pipes was a big thing. Never thought about bore size and combustion temperature. Makes a lot of sense with this sugar reacting with the freebase nic thang going on.

I guess I'm wondering about what reactions might occur in treating the tobacco vs what occurs while smoking. I'll have to surf a bit on cavendish today.

Status
Not open for further replies.