Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canadian vs American cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringanator

OK question I am a newbie grower just ordered my first batch of Canadian virgina tobacco seeds. I am a Canadian and smoke Canadian cigarettes and don't care for the taste of American cigs my question is dose cureing/ fermenting change for a Canadian flavored cig or is it the blending of the American cig that gives it it distinct smell and flavor

Lakota

Founding Member
I don't think you will ever match your brands taste, but you will be able to make a good ( great) cigarette. Knowing what is in your smoke and dropping the cost is a bonus. If you want to try different tobaccos go to www.wholeleaftobacco.com or check with bigbonner. Just from blending different types of tobacco you can make a cigarette that will make you never want to have a " store bought" again.

ringanator

I do know that every Canadian cigarettes is made from the same Canadian virgina tobacco and is not mixed with any other types of tobacco just wondering about cureing and fermenting

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I do know that every Canadian cigarettes is made from the same Canadian virgina tobacco and is not mixed with any other types of tobacco just wondering about cureing and fermenting

Those Virginias (flue cure class) can be flue cured, sun cured, or air cured. The cigarette manufacturers flue cure theirs. There are some home built flue curing chambers that were recently built a year or two ago by members on the forum. Flue curing at home is a relatively new process and it's still a learning process here. Don't confuse the flue curing with kilning, which is a different process. Kilning just speed ages the leaf. Flue curing is a curing process. I have air cured and sun cured the flue cure types. Sun curing seems to fall in sweetness somewhere between flue curing and air curing.

BarG

Founding Member
There is only one way to compare the 2. Send some to knucks and hell send some of his. ;)Also check with grinn and see which strain or variety is grown in canada. Chances are it is the same as grown worldwide .

ringanator

Thanks guys I guess I'll trial and error diffrent methods going to let 3 go to seed this fall so yes I will be willing to trade surplus seed thank you everybody

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
There are varieties that were developed and grown in canada which will bring you a bit closer to reaching the lofty goal of the taste of your prefered commercial blend. In canada, there aren't to many chems added to cigarettes and fortunatly, this makes it easier to get the flavour your looking for.

The variety of plants, the type of soil they're grown in, and how it's cured is just part of the proccess. The way it's kilned, roasted, cased and the percentages of fluecured to burley to oriental will also make the difference.

I have come to a point that the way I proccess my baccy is almost the same flavour as my old brand (Export "A" premium) but I'm actually enjoying my blend way way more then the commercial crap. I'm ruined. If I don't grow my own baccy from here on in, I'll have to quite smoking becuase I just can't hack the commercial harshness anymore.

juan carlos

is the difference not primarily the blend? i thought 'merican cigs had a turkish tobacco in them, that gave a more cigar like flavour.

with the exception of camels of course, they have a picture of the factory right on the front...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
is the difference not primarily the blend? i thought 'merican cigs had a turkish tobacco in them, that gave a more cigar like flavour.

with the exception of camels of course, they have a picture of the factory right on the front...

If I remember correctly, Canadian blends have a much higher ratio of some mild flue cure varieties, and lack the burley strength of American cigs. Some of them may even be all flue cure.

PeacePipe

I have lived on both sides of the medicine line.. I appreciate each type of cigarette though to be honest but I do not like the American tobacco companies or their products..The pure Virginia found in Canadian cigarettes is a lot sweeter and cleaner tasting compared to the American blends with Burley and Turkish blends added.

When I lived in Canada I bought cigarettes tax free on reservations and everyone I met would tell me how much they did not like the smell/taste of American Tobacco along with how the despised the residues left as well.. Most spoke of car windows and how American cigs always clouded up the windows in a car..

I also recall many Tobacco fields in Southern Ontario and this lead me to wonder why Tobacco is not farmed next door in Michigan ....

Bex

Funnily enough, when I was smoking American cigarettes here in Ireland, I was also told that they had a horrible stink to them - even though I never smelled this myself. I guess I was used to them. Everyone could tell when you lit up an American cigarette.....

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Well if Canadian is just bright leaf in a tube and you prefer it straight like that it certainly makes things easier for you come grow time. Just do the one variety and you're set.

Of course... No one can just do one, once the growing bug sets in.

Compare the monotone of a single variety to the hundreds or thousands of different strains available to you as a home grower and I think you're gonna want to start blending. Look at Knucklehead's blend, salivating yet?:)

ETA: I thought no one smokes or takes tobacco in Canada, every time I'm up there I look around for a tobacconist or a store with some tobacco products I can't find any and you can't ask anyone because everyone is anti tobacco that I talk to.

DonH

Well if Canadian is just bright leaf in a tube and you prefer it straight like that it certainly makes things easier for you come grow time. Just do the one variety and you're set.

Of course... No one can just do one, once the growing bug sets in.

Compare the monotone of a single variety to the hundreds or thousands of different strains available to you as a home grower and I think you're gonna want to start blending. Look at Knucklehead's blend, salivating yet?:)

ETA: I thought no one smokes or takes tobacco in Canada, every time I'm up there I look around for a tobacconist or a store with some tobacco products I can't find any and you can't ask anyone because everyone is anti tobacco that I talk to.
It's weird, though. Every time I've been in Canada I've noticed way more smokers out in the street than in the US despite all the nanny state regulations.

burge

A Canadian cig is as Players and Export A have always said a blend of the finest Virginia tobacco. I think one had 7 different types of flue cure Virginia. Its best to get a good variety. It would be nice to get a Canadian Virginia as it is sweeter.

burge

I have created a Export A blend and a Players blend. Export A is from Don the Players blend is a little more complexed.

ChinaVoodoo

There are varieties that were developed and grown in canada which will bring you a bit closer to reaching the lofty goal of the taste of your prefered commercial blend. In canada, there aren't to many chems added to cigarettes and fortunatly, this makes it easier to get the flavour your looking for.

smoking chicks

A lot of the Canadian varieties I know are available, date back pretty far--Delcrest, Delhi, Del-Gold, etc--and i suspect they have since started using more recently developed varieties. We ought to ask a farmer.

bonneville

I smoke the premium Players here in Canada and would really like to order some whole leaf that would at least come close to it. I think the only thing that really makes the American cigs taste different is the addition of Burley to the Virginia leaf....no Burley in Canadian cigs at all.
Only thing that puts me off trying the whole leaf is remembering how bad 'roll your own' tube cigs used to be...I remember years ago that rolling your own with tubes and a little injector became popular with folks trying to save a few bucks....I could never stomach them.....really really bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.