Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

52, 54, or 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORoller55

Hi guys,

Im buying a mold, and I know I like thick cigars, but Im not sure if I should go with the 52, 54, or 56. Could you guys tell me which of three you would go with, and why? What might the differences be, and would the differences in flavor, heat, etc. be very obvious between the 3?

Thanks.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Measure some of the cigars that you like most. Ring gauge is expressed in 64ths of an inch. A 52 ring gauge will measure 52/64ths of an inch in diameter.

BarG

Founding Member
I would go with the 52, 54, or 56. Heh heh 52 sounds good. Whats a millimeter or 64TH'S among friends.

CORoller55

Well, I love Padron 3000s and Cohiba Maduro 5s (Magicos?), which is why Im thinking about the 52. Im just wondering if 56 would offer more flavor? Or would it be overkill and be uncomfortable to hold in the mouth?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy the richness and full smoke of a large ring gauge cigar, but I really dislike the feel of a fat cigar in my mouth. My solution is to roll tapered cigars that approach 60 near the foot, but taper gradually to about 48 ring at the head. I'm not aware of any cigar molds that are shaped like that. All of my hand-rolled cigars are made without the use of a mold.

As some other forum members have pointed out, the shape and vein pattern of a wrapper leaf (half) naturally lends itself to forming a tapered cigar. I'll have to blame Euclid for inventing the cylindrical form.

Bob

charlie G.

I went with a 52. I got usto that size when I smoked all commercial cigars, and also as Bob I like a full smoke.
And as I hold my cigar in my mouth 30% of the time it's burning a larger ring gauge would just be to large to hold.
So I would say a 52. For any larger cigars you may want you can roll them by hand without a mold.

webmost

Anyone ever try a mouthpiece?
Solve the mandingo jawbreaker problem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the distant past, I tried various bits (mouthpieces) with cigars: plastic, meerschaum, rubber. It's like drinking wine through a straw. You lose part of the experience (not to mention looking rather odd). There is something magical about the taste and feel of a cigar in the mouth--earthy tastes and a springy resilience.

Bob

ArizonaDave

I enjoy the richness and full smoke of a large ring gauge cigar, but I really dislike the feel of a fat cigar in my mouth. My solution is to roll tapered cigars that approach 60 near the foot, but taper gradually to about 48 ring at the head. I'm not aware of any cigar molds that are shaped like that. All of my hand-rolled cigars are made without the use of a mold.

As some other forum members have pointed out, the shape and vein pattern of a wrapper leaf (half) naturally lends itself to forming a tapered cigar. I'll have to blame Euclid for inventing the cylindrical form.

Bob

A tapered cigar is definitely the way to go! I probably picked this up from you early on? Most of mine are what I call a "Trumpeto", since I play trumpet. It flares at the end like a trumpet. A lot of my summer 'gars start at around 40-44 rg and are up to 60-70 at the foot.

Charlie G. rolls a very interesting torpedo cigar that I like too, it's not too long. It's just right without using wasted space for the mouth. (Great job, Charlie G.!)
Yes, all done by hand, unless we can convince Don to have a cigar mold made in a conical shape?

webmost

In the distant past, I tried various bits (mouthpieces) with cigars: plastic, meerschaum, rubber. It's like drinking wine through a straw. You lose part of the experience (not to mention looking rather odd). There is something magical about the taste and feel of a cigar in the mouth--earthy tastes and a springy resilience.

Bob

This is very true. I like to roll it around and taste the habano wrapper.

CORoller55

Ok this is perfect, now Im convinced to go with the 52 mold... And yes I absolutely agree with you all, that rolling a tapered cigar does seem more natural. Which reminds me! Ill have to post some new pics of my see-gars that Ive been rolling. Last night I just rolled out 6, it was strange though, the first 2 were flawless, the last 4 went to hell. I think the wrapper got too wet and I was using small Cameroon leaves for fat cigars, hehe.

webmost

Trying to do a little math on the subject, and I am surprising myself. How thick is a tobacco leaf? Anyone ever miked one? Let's say a nice thin habano between the veins. If I had a mike, I'd find out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see some pictures of some of these free hand tapered cigars. It's something I've been thinking of trying.
I'm smoking this one as I type.

Garden20150401_1675_fatTaperedCigar_500.jpg

It's a bit fatter than usual, and tapers a little less. Every one is different. Since it is a fresh cigar, the head is easily squashed into a comfortable oval.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Hi guys,

Im buying a mold, and I know I like thick cigars, but Im not sure if I should go with the 52, 54, or 56. Could you guys tell me which of three you would go with, and why? What might the differences be, and would the differences in flavor, heat, etc. be very obvious between the 3?

Thanks.
6x54 is a nice size...probably one of my most favorite cigar sizes...where are you getting the mold....how many spaces and how much are they. I might be interested in one myself.

waikikigun

Y'all could have someone who uses a CNC machine make you such a mold shape for about $100 for a five-stick mold.

I know this because I have ordered a couple custom 5-stick molds from just such a person who uses just such a machine.

Not to imply that your hand-rolls aren't fine. Just passing on the info.

Maybe it's time to get back to the perfectos?

I know that when I handroll my scraps into Cuban sandwiches they naturally take on the tapered shape, slim at the mouth, fatter burning end.

webmost

Trying to do a little math on the subject, and I am surprising myself. How thick is a tobacco leaf? Anyone ever miked one? Let's say a nice thin habano between the veins. If I had a mike, I'd find out.

No mikers in here?
Used to have one but haven't been able to find it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.