Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Who has TN90 they want to give me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Paint your neck white (or tanned) or God forbid, cut the hair? :<))

Seriously folks (just for a second) I read someplace in this forum the correct Ph for my seeding soil.
I think it was 5.8 but I can't find it again (and naturally I can't remember). I got hold of a pool Ph test kit for free
and it says my soil is about 6.8. I took known neutral water and shook it in a jar with the soil. I let it soak
for a few hours. I then filtered the water and tested it. Have it got it right?

Thanks,

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've never heard of that way to test ph, but that doesn't mean it can't work. My tester is a probe I stick in mud. I got it at the local garden center for about $8.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
As a general rule of thumb, 5.8 would be ideal. I'm sure there is additional scientific data to fine tune that number depending on the "type" (Burley, Flue Cured, Oriental) of tobacco you're growing.

I'll try to isolate those numbers and post them.

Daniel

Banned
A hat is supposed to make you look like a Hillbilly. If it don't you aint wearing the right one. What you wanna look like? some prepped up city slicker? Heck a day hasn't even started yet till you get a good layer of mud built up on the bottom of your boots. Oh sorry you ain't wearin no boots. we are talking Hillbilly here.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Thanks Don, I've seen those. The question is what Ph do I want? Is 5.8 correct?

John

Here is one article that refers to soil PH 5.8 in the " Soil Selection " Paragraph.
but it doesn't mention particular types though, but most likely Burleys
Also I have read that 6.8 For Virginia types but I don't know if those articles are factual information or not.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa260

Boboro

You dont need kits or probs to check PH. take a pench of dirt put it on your toung if it taste sour put so lime out. if its sweet your good. ya'll cow and hourse composters mite want to get a probe or test kit:(

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That may be true ( or are you just trying to get all of us to put horse manure in our mouths?) but your mouth cannot distinguish between a ph of 4 and a ph of 6.5. And we all know on the logarithmic scale of Ph that is over a 100 fold difference.

Boboro

Juet growing a garden you can tell if something is off by a taste. Taste bad and good dirt. You can. take it to a co. agent if you have a dout.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The logarithmic scale is where you take a bunch of BIG, LONG, ROUND chunks of wood and tune them to ________________________ ;<))

Daniel

Banned
logarithmic scale in plain English means. the real difference between a Ph of 5 and 6 is 10 times the amount of alkali in the soil. the difference in 5 and 7 is 100 times.

L

Leafonly

Big,
I'm very interested in haering what leaves you have available for sale, qauntity available and pricing. If you could send some samples that would be great as well. You can see what I have to offer at Leaf Only. com

Status
Not open for further replies.