Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

can you make spit less snus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris m

Hello I'm new and thinking to grow some tobacco for snus as well love the General mint and would like to try . Is there just a process that different from Swedish snus and regular dip ? Thanks Chris

POGreen

I'm not really sure Chris but I think the process of making Swedish snus is different to making dip.
Making swedish snus is a very simple process , just try to find a '' mint essence '' to flavour it with.
You can back to me any time if u have any type of questions.

PO

ArizonaDave

In one of my recent experiments, I made a long leaf chew by accident, while trying to make a pipe tobacco. I used rum, vanilla ⅓, with a little nutmeg, and let soak into the leaf overnight. Then dried out for a few days. I will probably use less vanilla in the next batch. Boy, it tastes good! Like my wife's cinnamon/brown sugar apple pie :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The main difference between the two is the cut of the leaf. Snus is powdered while dip is very finely shredded. As far as spitless. Yes it is possible. All of my dip is spitless. Just cut down the amount of salt and don't add potassium carbonate because it changes the pH which will make you spit.

chris m

So what does the cooking do . I'm trying different leaf to get a feel of what I like just moist . Silver river is minty to me like it thanks Chris

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The cooking of the leaf is supposed to kill the microbes present in the leaf. The microbes play a major roll in the formation of Tobacco Specific Nitroseamines (TSNA). These are considered to be carcinogens. American dip/snus/chew uses a lot of fire cured which will have a lot of carcinogens on the leave due to the smoke. The American stuff also goes through a fermentation stage, which allows the microbes to convert more nicotine/nornicotine in to TSNA's.

So, bottom line is that heating kills the microbes that are responsible for any possible cancer causing TSNA's

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.