Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

quick seedling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't transplant to a larger pot. I trim the leaves to allow sunshine in to the shorter plants and prevent overcrowding. Commercial growers have special mowers to trim their tobacco plants. I cut 1/2 to 2/3 off the leaves and have cut as much as 80% with no damage. Don't trim the growth bud. deluxestogie's 2013 grow blog shows an experiment he did with plants left in the cells and only given a "haircut" to plants that were transplanted to larger pots. While the transplanted plants were larger when transplanted to the patch, the trimmed plants left in the cells caught up to them in a couple of weeks. In my opinion, transplanting to larger pots only costs you extra labor and money for soil and pots.

Brown Thumb is trying out some 32 or 36 cell inserts this year. Look at the lower part of the page: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/traditional-inserts-hobby-pack/seed-starting

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I like to pot mine..but I use Styrofoam cups...

And as knuck stated it can be a extra cost..but luckily I have access to excellent organic soil material..and I reuse the cups each year.

I like to have a bigger plant when I put it in the ground..plus the mixture I use in that cup is gonna feed the plant..till its tall enough for its first fertilizing...

Which is another item I have a massive access to.

ChinaVoodoo

I do but all I use for Internet is my smartphone and I can't get it to upload the pic

My phone takes pictures that are too large to upload. I use the edit feature on the phone to crop them to about 66% of their original size. After I do that, they upload properly. I also use the desktop site on my phone, vs the mobile site.

ChinaVoodoo

pots bigger or directly full earth with a protection against the harmful?.

If there's no fear of frost, plant them in the ground. If they need to stay indoors longer due to the weather, you might need to move them to larger pots while you wait for the weather to improve.

Gavroche

Thank you China

That's why this year, I am going to sow(scatter) on wet sheets(leaves) and then to put seeds hatched(opened) on the compost in my boxes with fishes, I can so leave a space being enough for not having to clear up. What do you think about it?

Merci China,

c'est pour cela que cette année, je vais semer sur des feuilles humides et ensuite poser les graines écloses sur le terreau dans mes boites à poissons, je pourrai ainsi laisser un écartement suffisant pour ne pas avoir à éclaircir. qu'en pensez-vous ?

Smokin Harley

How large can tobacco grow in a 72 cell seed starting flat Before transplanting to another pot?

I have only grown one season but once they start touching each other ,trim the larger lower leaves . DO NOT trim the tip or it will never grow taller. Once plants get about 4 inches tall and the temps at night are above 45 set them out .

Gavroche

Au-dessus de 45 °, mais certainement dans la basse température, je serais peur d'un retour de la gelée (gel) Je vais être attendre 53 ° F est de 12 degrés Celsius ... i ResID en Ile de France, il est entre continental et oceanique

Anyway, to have 4 thumbs(inches) by crashing March 19th, I shall be frost free I think...

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you China

That's why this year, I am going to sow(scatter) on wet sheets(leaves) and then to put seeds hatched(opened) on the compost in my boxes with fishes, I can so leave a space being enough for not having to clear up. What do you think about it?

Merci China,

c'est pour cela que cette année, je vais semer sur des feuilles humides et ensuite poser les graines écloses sur le terreau dans mes boites à poissons, je pourrai ainsi laisser un écartement suffisant pour ne pas avoir à éclaircir. qu'en pensez-vous ?

I'm not sure I understood the original question. Sow them indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost. If they are too large for the pots and the weather is still bad, move them to larger pots. If the weather is good, you can put them in the ground.

Gavroche

You understood well China, I say that I am going to sow(scatter) seeds in boxes fishes which ([COLOR=#0000FF !important]flower box)[/COLOR]
are deeper than jars like that, if the weather is too cold I can wait

That's why I asked if my boxes fishes([COLOR=#0000FF !important]flower box) [/COLOR]
were rather deep...

Vous avez bien compris China, je dis que je vais semer les graines dans les boites à poissons qui sont plus profondes que les pots comme cela, si le temps est trop froid je pourrai attendre.

C'est pour cela que je demandais si mes boites à poissons étaient assez profondes...

ChinaVoodoo

Larger plants need to be in separate boxes. The roots will get tangled if they are in the same box.

Fish boxes are Styrofoam? Make sure water can drain out the bottom of whatever you plant in. Also, it is better to water from below and let water seep up into the pot from holes in the bottom of it.

Gavroche

Actually ChinaVooDoo, I had not thought of the tangled roots.

My question thus returns somebody measured roots in length when plants make 4 inches so that I find the good size of jar but maybe it is not important, roots finding their place alone

Effectivement lChinavoodoo je n'avais pas pensé aux racines emmêlées.

ma question revient donc... est-ce que quelqu'un a mesuré les racines en longueur quand les plantes font 4 pouces afin que je trouve la bonne taille de pot... mais peut-être n'est-ce pas important, les racines trouvant leur place toutes seules

ChinaVoodoo

Actually ChinaVooDoo, I had not thought of the tangled roots.

My question thus returns somebody measured roots in length when plants make 4 inches so that I find the good size of jar but maybe it is not important, roots finding their place alone

Effectivement lChinavoodoo je n'avais pas pensé aux racines emmêlées.

ma question revient donc... est-ce que quelqu'un a mesuré les racines en longueur quand les plantes font 4 pouces afin que je trouve la bonne taille de pot... mais peut-être n'est-ce pas important, les racines trouvant leur place toutes seules

http://tarpin-lyonnet.fr/pots-plastique/direct-usine-fabrication.php?ref=505

Status
Not open for further replies.