Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nic's first year growing tobacco! The far north grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Not much happening here due to crappy weather! We had an exception last Sunday with some sun and about 15 C so I took the opportunity to work on one of the patches!

20150510_103939.jpg

Its about 6X4 meters and the plan is to transplant the earliest ~60 plants there. I might carve a bit more of the strawberry patch to fit more plants later on.,..
The 5 day forecast shows only rain and high temps of 5-8 C (40-ish f) so no transplanting this weekend! However the outlook for the following weekend are promising so maybe then.

Took a break from everyday life yday and went on the first fishing trip of the season, didn't catch any fish but after a day of clouds and heavy wind we got lucky with the weather!
20150512_212007.jpg

pic taken last night at 9:35 pm

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I hope you have some favorable weather soon. I'm looking forward to seeing your patch full of tobacco. Best of luck.

rainmax

Founding Member
...pic taken last night at 9:35 pm

Beautiful. At that time my whole family sleeps, except me of course, but you can catch sun. I've never been to Finland. One day I will be.
Great country, great people and the craziest drivers. Good luck with you...

Nic

Beautiful land and sea.

Good luck with the transplanting.

Bob

I hope you have some favorable weather soon. I'm looking forward to seeing your patch full of tobacco. Best of luck.

Thanks guys. Next weekend looks promising weather wise
vedär.jpg

Beautiful. At that time my whole family sleeps, except me of course, but you can catch sun. I've never been to Finland. One day I will be.
Great country, great people and the craziest drivers. Good luck with you...

It can be and we can be :eek:
We usually have kinda dull spring here and suddenly when the sun pops up in late May it won't disappear! In one month it will be light 24/7 and hopefully some nice summer weather.
You are welcome any time, bring money and anything that smokes ;)

//Nic

Nic

First 30 plants were put into the ground May 19 and another batch late last night (21.5).
Kinda worried since we have harder than expected winds today, gusts at 15-18 m/s. Hope they will survive...
Anyway, I have some pics to share with you all. Sry for the bad quality but light was getting scarce at 11.45 PM.

20150521_233435.jpg
Orientals, pic taken facing south
20150521_233347.jpg
All of em, pic taken facing north east

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Seedlings always look better in the ground than they do in the trays. Congrats on your planting. They'll get used to the breeze pretty fast and the movement will help strengthen the stem and roots. It forces them to figure out a way to brace themselves.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If wind is a issue I'd use stakes and string to tie them up...nothing worse than a big bacca plant laying on the ground

Nic

Seedlings always look better in the ground than they do in the trays. Congrats on your planting. They'll get used to the breeze pretty fast and the movement will help strengthen the stem and roots. It forces them to figure out a way to brace themselves.

Thanks

If wind is a issue I'd use stakes and string to tie them up...nothing worse than a big bacca plant laying on the ground

I will try that...

Had to do some first aid today, temps were dropping and by mid day we had about 4C (40ish F) with heavy wind and rain!

Don't know what the cloth is called in english but I put all transplanted tobacco under it, they didnt look good at all :(
Of course, once I was done the temps rose abit and the sky cleared...

20150523_182939.jpg

Nic

Although we had some crappy weather last weekend all except one survived! On 28.5 I finished transplanting the rest of my tobacco on plot 1. I now have about half of my tobacco in the ground and the rest is hardening in the "lusthouse". Funny small cabins that was popular here in the 90's :D, suits my purposes perfectly at the moment.

20150530_181731.jpg
60ish plants under cover

20150530_181748.jpg
The big ones are on their own from now on, the ones on the right are Lizard Tail cross Turtle foot and are some funny looking bacca.

20150530_181814.jpg
Biggest leaf on the plot is found on a Maryland 609
20150528_123853.jpg
My "helpers" on transplant day.

Brown Thumb

Nice looking Grow you got going one there.
I like the tents per say.
Your helpers look like they are working up a Good Sweat. I got the same problem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your helpers are dressed for cold weather. At least the two dogs are assisting one another to hold that stick off the ground.

Bob

Nic

Your helpers look like they are working up a Good Sweat. I got the same problem.

Thanks, the tents keeps most of the cold wind out and if we get a full day of sun they will protect the younger ones that haven't seen much of sunlight yet... Most of my Izmir have gotten burned already.

Your helpers are dressed for cold weather. At least the two dogs are assisting one another to hold that stick off the ground.

Bob

That's Finnish summer clothing Bob :cool:. Just kidding, we have had a cold and wet spring so far with high temps of 12-15 C (50-60 F) in the past 3 weeks. The farmers are running wild ones it dries up enough to work the fields.

I am fertilizing with nettle water and was wondering if anyone have any experience with it? How often should I fertilize, Once a week? Twice? I used about 1 gallon concentrated nettle water on 60 plants last time, is that to much?

//Nic

Nic

Forgot to mention that night frosts are common here until mid June, even though we haven't had any in the past weeks, so the tents will have to stay up for another week or two.

DonH

Wait until you see a full-grown Maryland leaf! As for the nettle juice, I don't know but I don't think a gallon on sixty plants would be too much. Someone who knows can correct me, but I think that it would be hard to overdo nettle juice in the way that you can overdo chemical fertilizers.

Nic

I noticed in bucks growblog post #17 that he had some problem with his leafs and he solved it with added phosphorus. Most of my baccy looks kinda the same and I thought it was because the cold/windy/rainy weather we have been having but as they have been growing it doesn't seem to get any better. Anyways I added some bonemeal with N-P 7-7 two days ago and I am waiting to see if there is any change.... However I took a photo of one of the many leafs that end up on the ground. The lifecycle seems to be 1. brownspots. 2. darker edges. 3. midvein breaks 1" from stem 4. leaf dries up.
20150607_212456.jpg

If you guys have any input I would appreciate it! Disease, just some nutrient deficiency, bad weather or over fertilization ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I noticed in bucks growblog post #17 that he had some problem with his leafs and he solved it with added phosphorus. Most of my baccy looks kinda the same and I thought it was because the cold/windy/rainy weather we have been having but as they have been growing it doesn't seem to get any better. Anyways I added some bonemeal with N-P 7-7 two days ago and I am waiting to see if there is any change.... However I took a photo of one of the many leafs that end up on the ground. The lifecycle seems to be 1. brownspots. 2. darker edges. 3. midvein breaks 1" from stem 4. leaf dries up.
If you guys have any input I would appreciate it! Disease, just some nutrient deficiency, bad weather or over fertilization ?

Your damage looks more like a disease than buck's did. Compare your leaf to these images. The last link also shows some pest damage. A couple of the spots look a little like squash bug damage.
http://ephytia.inra.fr/en/C/10758/Tobacco-Viruses
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Tobacco/Photos-Disease.htm
http://www.forestryimages.org/search/action.cfm?q=tobacco

Nic

Your damage looks more like a disease than buck's did. Compare your leaf to these images. The last link also shows some pest damage. A couple of the spots look a little like squash bug damage.
http://ephytia.inra.fr/en/C/10758/Tobacco-Viruses
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Tobacco/Photos-Disease.htm
http://www.forestryimages.org/search/action.cfm?q=tobacco

Thanks for the links Knucklehead!
The thing is my plants look like this pic: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Tobacco/Pages/NutrientDeficiency.html but more severe on the older plants.
My observations are that in the early stages they look like pic 6 in this link: http://ephytia.inra.fr/en/C/10967/Tobacco-Nutritional-deficiencies compare to red circles in my pic...
I know its not optimal to identify my problem from just 1 pic of 1 leaf and I will add more tomorrow but I still like the input.
Btw I have not seen many bugs or snails near my tobacco...

Status
Not open for further replies.