Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nic's first year growing tobacco! The far north grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Is it only the Izmir you have this problem with?
-do you find any possibility that the leaf could have got any Goldwater or something similar??
Looking to me that it's burned..

Nic

Is it only the Izmir you have this problem with?
-do you find any possibility that the leaf could have got any Goldwater or something similar??
Looking to me that it's burned..

All varieties have the same problem, I fertilized with heavily diluted goldwater (maybe 1/20) when I transplanted them 3 weeks ago. I also put a small amount of tomato fertilizer (http://www.neudorff.se/produkter/goedning/torrgoedsel/effekt-tomatgoedning.html) in the holes, maybe 10 grams per plant. I have also fertilized once with nettlewater.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Ok, I have the same thing that you link to myself. But have so much other things so I don't need it.. But good to have home..
I think you should be more careful when you feed your tobacco..

- I really don't think that your tobacco have virus.. But... You can test to put some drops one a leaf and see.. Easy way to see if its the problem..

Nic

I admit defeat! Well not completely, but I have to say things are not looking good.
On my main patch where I planted 11 varieties about 110 plants, half of the plants are already budding even though they are not even knee high! They were planted to early with the weather we have been having this summer and does not look good at all. Last week we finally had some warm weather coming our way and my "farmers tan" moved from the wrists upwards to where it should be, ending right above the biceps. But now its over and we are back to wind, rain and low temps. 10 day forecast show high temps of 17-18 deg C (mid 60s F).
My second patch where I grow 2 varieties totaling around 95 plants, seem to do much better, although they are still small about 8-10" high and 10-12" big leafs, they are much darker green and overall healthier looking baccy (pics are on the way). Since this is my first year growing I will be happy to get some tobacco for my snusmaking and I am still hoping this second patch will give somewhat decent return on the effort I have put in Thus far.

Even though I very rarely comment I have to say that I enjoy this forum very much and it has become one of my most frequently visited websites. I thank you all for the work you do to help Me and others in our tobacco growing, cigar rolling, pipetobacco blending and snusmaking efforts. Big thumbs up from me and good luck on all your grows!

Ps. Deluxestogie if you are reading this your analysis of the old cigar was spot on! Bought in Europe in mid 50s and brought here as a gift.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ps. Deluxestogie if you are reading this your analysis of the old cigar was spot on! Bought in Europe in mid 50s and brought here as a gift.
Yay!

For the short plants that are starting to bud, carefully remove all the upper suckers (just below the primary bud head). Once the bud stem elongates, you can then top the plant, and allow all those tiny leaves to grow larger.

Bob

buck

Thanks for the links Knucklehead!
The thing is my plants look like this pic: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Tobacco/Pages/NutrientDeficiency.html but more severe on the older plants.
My observations are that in the early stages they look like pic 6 in this link: http://ephytia.inra.fr/en/C/10967/Tobacco-Nutritional-deficiencies compare to red circles in my pic...
I know its not optimal to identify my problem from just 1 pic of 1 leaf and I will add more tomorrow but I still like the input.
Btw I have not seen many bugs or snails near my tobacco...

Mine looked like the pic in your first link above, never got as bad as yours did and no further occurrence once I fertilized. Could have been just deficiency in NKP not due specifically to Phosphorus.

Brown Thumb

Google, nitrogen toxicity tobacco images, It Kinda looks like it by the tips.
It takes longer for it to get yellow looking tho.

Nic

Mine looked like the pic in your first link above, never got as bad as yours did and no further occurrence once I fertilized. Could have been just deficiency in NKP not due specifically to Phosphorus.

Google, nitrogen toxicity tobacco images, It Kinda looks like it by the tips.
It takes longer for it to get yellow looking tho.

Thanks for the answers guys! I don't know what they were suffering from but when I tried to google it my plants had every sign of deficiency I could find (Boron, Phosphorus etc...). I have not done a soil test but it seems like the soil on my first patch is not very good. Add heavy rains and very cold weather (5-10 C) and you have a patch filled with funky looking bacca. Just my thoughts since it have improved but its not looking great! My second patch however is looking just fine if you account for the circumstances...

Nic

I will spare you all pics from my first patch since its not much to show really. I realized that it will not give much harvest and since then I have neglected the weeding a bit so...
My second patch is looking good though. This is my snus patch where I have only 2 varieties, 36 Small Stalk Black Mammoth and 55 Alida.
20150614_160305.jpg
Pic taken on transplant day June 16
20150708_155034.jpg
Before weeding July 8, Pic taken facing south
20150716_134544.jpg
And last pic taken yesterday July 16. Normal to big sized golden as comparison.
We have had an exceptionally shitty summer here and the farmer who works the barley fields where my baccy patch is located said that the only thing growing for him this year is the weeds and my baccy =)

Brown Thumb

There looking GooD. Patience is the Key which some of us don't have.
Nice Grow.

Nic

Nice looking pets you all got but I won't be uploading any dog pics because the servers will get overloaded once I get started :D. Ok maybe just one more, besides there are some bacca there also...
20150727_182138.jpg

I also stared picking leafs on my main patch but they are small and not worthy of any space other in text... Seems like 3 out of 10 samsuns will give a somewhat decent yield but all the izmirs are crazy small, averaging about 10-12" high when in full bloom.

Now I have a somewhat dummy Q but here it goes. I get that there is a big difference in taste in the cigar varieties, and it's easily noticeable in the way you consume them i.e cigars. And same with orientals in a pipe blend where some strains are more noticeable than others. But how about the flue cured varieties? When I come to think about it I don't think I have seen much discussion on what flue cured strain is someones fav or not. Only that there is a diff in taste depending on leaf stem position... So, the million dollar question here is: Does the different flue cured varieties taste the same in a pipe blend given the same curing arrangement and aging???

//Nic

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Does the different flue cured varieties taste the same in a pipe blend given the same curing arrangement and aging?
I'm sure there are many opinions about this. If the flue-cure tobacco varieties are actually flue-cured, they will be similar, but have different nuances of flavor and strength and acidity. In a pipe blend, I think all flue-cured tobacco is interchangeable, but I do notice distinct differences. A recipe that yields a balanced blend, seems to do so, regardless of the flue-cured variety used, but the flavor, aroma, relative acidity and strength may be recognizably different.

Flue-cured tobacco can offer a range of acidity. This may influence the proportion of Perique that balances well with it.

Bob

Nic

I'm sure there are many opinions about this. If the flue-cure tobacco varieties are actually flue-cured, they will be similar, but have different nuances of flavor and strength and acidity. In a pipe blend, I think all flue-cured tobacco is interchangeable, but I do notice distinct differences. A recipe that yields a balanced blend, seems to do so, regardless of the flue-cured variety used, but the flavor, aroma, relative acidity and strength may be recognizably different.

Flue-cured tobacco can offer a range of acidity. This may influence the proportion of Perique that balances well with it.

Bob

A very helpful comment as usual, Thanks deluxestogie!
I plan on growing a couple of different flue cured varieties next year so let me ask all you pipe smokers out there:

Which flue cured variety is YOUR favorite? And why? Easy to cure, easy to grow or just tasty...

At last a pic from my tobacco patch. I'm the dude in red t-shirt

IMG_20150809_171315.jpg

Nic

Who is that next to you in the photo?

Bob

He's my plastic brother, that's the term in swedish anyways. But, basically his mom is dating my dad.

And to the deleted comment of my age, I am 31 yo but I tend to look like the main character from a teenage-lesbian-romance novel on photographs. Must be all that chineese manufactured junk they try to sell as cameras nowadays :cool:
Another possibility is that all those Liberace impersonations in front of the mirror has somehow affected my appearance, but I doubt it and that's not the point anyways.
The main point is that I have baccy and weeds, but mostly baccy. The summer arrived late here this year, first week of August was hot and sunny. As it looks now we could still get a week or two of sun and temps over 20 deg celsius!

//Nic

jojjas

Yepp Nic , at last there is summer temps here , after midsummer there was cold and windy for 7 weeks , but finaly we got temprature over 20° C (70-80 F) and the sun is showing up

Nic

Yepp Nic , at last there is summer temps here , after midsummer there was cold and windy for 7 weeks , but finally we got temperature over 20° C (70-80 F) and the sun is showing up

The warm and sunny weather seems to stick around for another 10 days or so. I was planing to start priming once we get some normal weather with higher humidity.
The lowest leafs are mature enough to pick with some yellow tips here and there but I am afraid they will dry green.

//Nic

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
looks good.... you may have to plant a lot.. next time. since your plants look like they dont get full size where your at....how long is your daylight hours there,?

i ask this because my izmir is about 5 foot talll when it bloomed,

Status
Not open for further replies.