Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nic's first year growing tobacco! The far north grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

looks good.... you may have to plant a lot.. next time. since your plants look like they dont get full size where your at....how long is your daylight hours there,?

i ask this because my izmir is about 5 foot talll when it bloomed,

Thanks, the plants at the first patch are ridiculously small. The izmirs are maybe knee high and in full bloom. Only thing growing somewhat good there is 3 Samsun and 6 Rot front.
I estimated early in the season that they could get maybe 8 h of sunlight per day, but I have now realized that it is not that much. I can also complain about the early season whether, soil quality, poor soil preparation, local climate (cold and windy spot) etc. but I will spare you the details. Since its not my land, (and as it stands now, never will be) I will not grow there again.

In the second patch that is located 20 miles away at my dads house and transplanted almost a full month later is doing just fine tho. 2 varieties planted, SSBM and Alida and they are producing some good sized leaf, 25"x12" with the 1 untopped SSBM pushing 6 1/2 feet. I hope they will make a good snus and pipe baccy...

20150816_182739_HDR.jpg20150816_182820.jpg

The red structure in the first pic is a "wood storage/drying shed" and is where I will air cure my crop. It is also the only thing blocking the sun and next year I will move the patch a couple of meters away from that wall. I live at 63rd parallel north and we have about 18-20h of sunlight here during the longest days...

//Nic

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your leaf size looks good...

we all got to adapt to our areas... this was the first year planting on my new plot, i maybe filled it 1/3 of what it can actually hold,

but i grew a lot of varities id never grew before, so i didnt know the space they would need, and ended up spreading them out way further than they needed,

but the thing is to try different varities and figure out which is a keeper, to be planted yearlly.. [ im still trying to figure which is my '' perfect '' turkish variety ]

but your crop looks like your gonna really enjoy the fruits of your labor,,, and hopefully it wii catapult you into a bigger and better grow next year,,

how's the inscect problem where your at,?

Nic

how's the inscect problem where your at,?

Not a problem for me at least, I grow mostly for snus so I haven't paid much attention to the insects and the second patch has seemed overall healthy anyways. I have seen some snails and one plant was covered with dead aphids. No holes in my leafs but some brownspots here and there, idk what has caused that...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.