Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nic's first year growing tobacco! The far north grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Well, here it goes...
After finding some crazy swedes :p on the net that was growing tobacco for snus I hesitated about 2 seconds when i clicked my way to ebay and ordered a couple of seed packs containing a total of 11 varieties! They arrived safely and on March 5th I planted my first tobacco seeds!
The varieties I planted are:
Small Stalk Black Mammoth, Connecticut Broadleaf, Virginia BL, Lizard Cross Turtle, Burley, Bolivian Criollo, Florida Sumatra, Maryland, Turkish Izmir, Black sea Samsoun, Rot front and Alida(ahus). I mainly plan to use them to make snus and if the crop turns out good enough i will try to roll a couple of cigars.
This first pic is from 26th March and shows about half of my plants at that time
Komp1.jpg

I have a total of 110 plants and I planted a backup batch of Alida and Ssbm yday!
The second pair of pics are taken 6th April after i transplanted them into "beer" cups and shows the same plants as pic 1.

komp3.jpgkomp4.jpg
I built a small growing table and converted my daughters room to a grow room:cool: I use led strips as growlights and a pc-psu as powersupply. I have also installed 2 fans to strengthen the plants. I also use a fluorescent lamp for the smaller plants but the space is so tight i cant get a decent pic...
The weather can be a bit rough here and I am hoping on getting the plants in the ground in early June. The oldest plants will then be about 11-12 weeks!

Last i want to share a pic taken from google streetview that shows where i plan on growing my tobacco.
Untitled2.jpg
The place on the pic is of my grandfathers shed (where he had cattle until the late 80s) and is owned by my dad... The weeds in my tobacco patch is tilled down a couple of years back and has been a barley field for a while now...

That's it for now and please feel free to comment if you have any suggestions or improvements... If anyone can tell me if its a good idea to use transparent cups for the plants i would appreciate it!
//Nic

Nic

Nice going there Nic , good pics to look at too !
Thanks PO! I tried to send you a PM but got this message: POGreen has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

DGBAMA

Plants look good.

How many hours sun does your planting area get? I notice in the picture it is mostly shaded. Tobacco likes lots of sun to be most productive.

Nic

Nice looking setup you have. Good luck on the grow

Thanks

Plants look good.

How many hours sun does your planting area get? I notice in the picture it is mostly shaded. Tobacco likes lots of sun to be most productive.

Thanks, the wall in the pic is pretty much facing south, maybe a couple degrees off.
I was there yday and I would guess the area goes into the shade about 6-7 pm. The pic is probably taken about 6.30 pm. According to this website http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/finland/vaasa?month=6&year=2015 the sun rises at 3:30 am and sets at 23:30 pm in June. I would guess that the sun is high enough on the sky about 7 am to reach the plants. That would give them about 12 h of sunlight per day...
I hope that's enough. The real problem here is usually the cold northern wind and this building would be great protection against it.
I could move it to full sunlight but this is the warmest place i got so... Idk whats better, a couple degrees warmer or more sunlight at late evening?
Thanks for the input, all this is new to me and I appreciate all comments and tips!

POGreen

Thanks PO! I tried to send you a PM but got this message: POGreen has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

I'll look into it right away Nic !
Will PM you when I got this figured out

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Your young plants look good...your off to a good start...and wise to get them so big. Right now...especially with your short season.

Good luck

DonH

Like Bob said, 12 hours of sun is great. Last two plots I grew in only had 7-8 hours. This year I hope to get it
over 10. But they came out fine.

Nic

Thanks all for the kind words.

Had to bring out some of the small ones for a haircut. The 8 plants in the upper right corner sprouted March 24th, the rest sprouted on March 19th.

komp5.jpg

Nic

The picture below shows the 4 day root growth of the Small Stalk Black Mammoth. It was transplanted from the 2" high cup on 6th April to a 6" high transparent beer cup. Pic is taken April 10.
komp6.jpg

Nic

Plans have changed a bit since first update! I have found a new growing spot that is only 2 miles away where I will plant half of my plants (about 100). I will still plant my "safety crop", 60 Alidas and 36 Small Stalk Black Mammoth, at the original location that is about 20 miles away. The safety crop was planted on April 11 and the sprouts are growing well. First pic alida second SSBM
alida.jpgssbm.jpg

The grow table with the led strips seems to work very well and the biggest variety Lizard cross Turtle is about 25 cm tall (10") a few Florida Sumatra holds second place with 21 cm tall. Besides the led strips, they have gotten some sunlight since the weather has been fairly good in recent weeks. I don't run the fans anymore since they have gotten so strong that a pc fan running on full speed doesn't have much impact on them. Growtable pic, normal size cigarette pac for scale
komp9.jpg
And last the "small" ones! The Bolivian Criollo Black plants are developing a very pointy leaf and are really easy to recognize in the "heard"
komp8.jpg

I now have about 205 plants growing and I hope for an early spring since the biggest are getting very big!

//Nic

Nic

Since the weather has been warmer I started hardening the plants this week. I have one of those mini-greenhouses where I can fit about 25 plants, not perfect but it will have to do for now! We had some sun early in the week and they enjoyed it! We still have nightfrosts and when I put them out in the greenhouse this morning the meter was at 3 degrees C. If the forecasts are correct, we will be getting some sun and warm weather after the weekend. Reminds me of last years crazy May weather: https://twitter.com/meteorologit/status/340416244316532736

Status
Not open for further replies.