Whole Leaf Tobacco

newbie mess up lol

Well I messed up got my tabacco seeds split them up between to trays to germination thinking only a small percentage would germinate...well that was not the case I would have to say 95% germinated now I got seedlings coming out the ears lol transplanted 150 didn't even make a dent in the first tray educated guess prob 6-7 hundred plants left to transplant. oh well better then nothing coming up lol

Re: newbie mess up lol

Quote Originally Posted by ringanator View Post
    Well I messed up got my tabacco seeds split them up between to trays to germination thinking only a small percentage would germinate...well that was not the case I would have to say 95% germinated now I got seedlings coming out the ears lol transplanted 150 didn't even make a dent in the first tray educated guess prob 6-7 hundred plants left to transplant. oh well better then nothing coming up lol
    But look at all the lovely tobacco you are going to be able to grow if you can get more of them transplanted then plant out. Then you can time age your leaves over the next couple of years while you grow smaller crops next year and the year after and in three years time every year you will be smoking leaf that you have time aged for three nears in the natural method rather than in a kiln like I am. Well I think thats right I know I read that somewhere that grow three times more than you need year one. Then year two twice as much as you need. Then year three what you need yearly but you are now smoking the last of your first years leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by ringanator View Post
    It seems that some seeds, almost all sprout, and others, only a few sprout. Once you get a few you types you like, you'll be able to keep the seeds fresh that you grow. Yes, it's better that most all came up.
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Amateur Kentuckian ProfessorPangloss's Avatar

You could Johnny Bacco-seed them all over town like a reverse scavenger hunt for the good people to find and harvest.

*shrug*

Lol or like the Easter bunny

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorPangloss View Post
    You could Johnny Bacco-seed them all over town like a reverse scavenger hunt for the good people to find and harvest.

*shrug*

Some members sell their extra seedlings at Farmer's Markets, etc.

I deliberately over seed then cull out. Also, I like to have back up seedlings. Not such a screw up. You might be glad to have lots of extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Some members sell their extra seedlings at Farmer's Markets, etc.
    Now there's a good idea!
    CT

Can't cull be like picking my favorite children lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Tobaccoman View Post
    I deliberately over seed then cull out. Also, I like to have back up seedlings. Not such a screw up. You might be glad to have lots of extras.

I plant a extra tray for each type.
    Then set it and forget it on the top shelf. Oops I forgot to water them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	15141