Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic shredder ressurection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
All right , mine bit the dust. Is it the motor or in the switch. I really don't care.

I like the shredder components on it so I Will attempt to by pass the switch and add a different motor to run the shredder. It can't be to damn hard just to get it geared right for rpm. Any suggestions are welcome. Will start soon..

BarG

Founding Member
I would buy a new one but I like this one. I just need to power the shredder aspects and get rid of all the high tech crap they ad these days so that us shade tree mechanics are stumped. Simple motor, simple gears, simple on off switch.

BarG

Founding Member
Talking out loud here. I probably just need a few specs on the original motor for rpm and shft size to begin with. I have none of of my paper work on it and haven't looked yet for the info.

BarG

Founding Member
I feel that is it. But Is it worth replacing it. or just simplifying it. On OFF Forward reverse.'; A speculation here is when you add the sensor that is what needs to by passed with an entirely new switch. But then again I want just an on off switch to the motor forward only is fine.

DrBob

Founding Member
getting a replacement motor that would fit in like the old one would be a task. With enough enginuity you could make it run on any motor. all it takes is a bunch of dicking around,

BarG

Founding Member
Heh heh , Your right on it there DrBob..I plan on doing that. I plan on bypassing the wiring. The shredder mechanism is all I care about. If you can run that than you defeated 21st century technology with 20th century technology. Maybe even 19th.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
BarG, If you end up deciding to buy another one you might want to consider buying one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331516486901?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It gives a perfect .8mm cut and can be adapted to a motor. I am having the guy make me one with a 1.6mm cut for my pipe tobacco. It takes about 4 weeks from Poland. Very high quality machine

I bought this one last month and it just arrived a few days ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331478870281?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It is extremely overbuilt and will last several lifetimes. I plan to do a write up on it in another week or so once I've played around with it. This one is just the head. I've put a wrench on it and manually shredded about 4 oz of Brightleaf. I need to hook up a motor to it and put it through its paces.

BarG

Founding Member
I WOULD BUY ANOTHER POWERMATIC. I like my old shredder, I want to keep it going,
Its a matter of principle .I like the shredders in them. I couldn't reproduce them but I bet xan make them run.

DrBob

Founding Member
the weak point of the whole shredder is all the controls. Kind of like a new riding lawnmower, the engine should last a long long time but the safety controls such as the seat switch, blade switch, gear switch, tip over switch, low oil switch, are the ones that cause 90% of the problems.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Did you double check that site JBD That was a pretty high price range,

Yep! It cost me $300.00 for just the head including shipping. It'll cost me another $200 or so to hook up a gear motor or pulley/motor system. With this new head I don't plan on ever having to buy another shredder again. I even bought 2 extra sets of combs. The steel is so thick on it that I don't think it'll ever heat up (unless I use a gear motor). It should be able to shred a 100lbs at a time with no rest. The bearings look like they would take about 10 minutes to replace. I haven't run through a vigorous test yet but so far I am very happy with it.

Note the price is given in Polish Zloty's with the U.S. Dollar under it.

chuditch

Just had a look at the eBay site for the manual one and it comes to AU$250 landed in Australia for me.
Do you recommend them?
Would love to get the Powermatic shredder but the postage to get it here and the devaluation of the Aust, dollar doubles the price and would need to get a transformer as we are on 240 volt not 110 volt.
Been using a angle hair pasta cutter, it works but the strands seem a bit thick probably 1mm against the 0.8mm that Polish one advertises.
Does that 0.02 make a lot of difference when loading tubes and the burn?
Using a Powermatic 2 electic tube injector and it is work fantastic.
I know one of the members has said trying to get a manual shredder made for sale from China but no updates on that been appearing no idea of when or an indication of price which is a shame, would rather buy from one of the forum members.
BarG, If you end up deciding to buy another one you might want to consider buying one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331516486901?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It gives a perfect .8mm cut and can be adapted to a motor. I am having the guy make me one with a 1.6mm cut for my pipe tobacco. It takes about 4 weeks from Poland. Very high quality machine

I bought this one last month and it just arrived a few days ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331478870281?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It is extremely overbuilt and will last several lifetimes. I plan to do a write up on it in another week or so once I've played around with it. This one is just the head. I've put a wrench on it and manually shredded about 4 oz of Brightleaf. I need to hook up a motor to it and put it through its paces.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Has anyone priced spare parts from Powermatic, such as a motor, switch, etc? I'm just curious why folks keep trying to go around them.

chuditch

On Knuckleheads recommendation I contacted Lucas in Poland from his eBay listing about his manual shredder and have purchased one with an extra set of combs.
Great guy to chat with very helpful very friendly.
Cost me AU$262 including postage so quite happy with that.
Down side is the 6 to 8 weeks to get here but shall just keep going with the methods using to shred so far,
Will post an update when it arrives

Freeotatv

Jbd..so you can just buy the head a d attach a socket wrench to turn?

Any more details to share?

Where is the rest of the shredder body pls?

DGBAMA

Just had a look at the eBay site for the manual one and it comes to AU$250 landed in Australia for me.
Do you recommend them?
Would love to get the Powermatic shredder but the postage to get it here and the devaluation of the Aust, dollar doubles the price and would need to get a transformer as we are on 240 volt not 110 volt.
Been using a angle hair pasta cutter, it works but the strands seem a bit thick probably 1mm against the 0.8mm that Polish one advertises.
Does that 0.02 make a lot of difference when loading tubes and the burn?
Using a Powermatic 2 electic tube injector and it is work fantastic.
I know one of the members has said trying to get a manual shredder made for sale from China but no updates on that been appearing no idea of when or an indication of price which is a shame, would rather buy from one of the forum members.

Not sure it does or not, and it does not sound like much when you say .2mm, however in this case that is a 20% difference, which is actually quite substantial.

.8 is 20% smaller than 1.
1 is 25% larger than .8.

It's all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.