Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

chris m's first grow blog 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris m

Ok so I was late to the party . So last week in March I was looking for a banana pepper seed and found sustainable seed company. So I was looking around and found tobacco . I smoke cigars ( born in Tampa FLA) and use snus . Also saw on the site this forum . So I joined and asking some questions. Ordered some seed from north wood . And Bob said he would send me some seeds . So I started them when I got them and as of today you can see each pot has at least one that has pooped up .
What is growing
Fl sumatra
little dutch
Comstock Spanish
Pa red
Havana (thinking it's 322)
Ct shade
Crillo 98
Habano 2000
Havana142
So they will go into the ground around first week of May . Next year it will go in April . So a lot of catching up to do .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest that your plants will have a better chance of producing if you put them in the ground when they are at least 4-6" tall, even if you are approaching the end of May, rather than putting them in the ground when they are tiny. Slugs, earwigs and cutworms will devour them if they are too small when put out.

Bob

chris m

Yes I was going to change that , even mid June I think I would be fine . And the whole garden is in food grade buckets . One no real weeding and keeps bugs down . Also what else I do is fill buckets with leaves one. It's good for nitrogen

DGBAMA

I'm hoping my grow blog will get better soon . Not much to talk about yet

They are kind of boring at first, slow to get going, but when they do, it gets fun. Double in size every week. How well you cure them? Now is the time to be thinking about it and asking questions. Harvest sneaks up fast.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Chris trust me it will... I think you soon will put up nice pictures here and then all the fun begin!
-Good luck..

chris m

Thanks everyone . Will air cure then build a kiln soon well. Got the seeds from north wood . And the crillo 98 ,Habano 2000 and havan 142 was started today . To recap this will be planted this year
Comstock Spanish
PA red.
Little dutch
Fl sumatra
Havana thinking it's 322
Ct shade
Havana 142
Habano 2000
Crillo 98
Not sure how many of each will get planted for the first year don't want to over do it

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Not sure how many of each will get planted for the first year don't want to over do it

Bob's rule of thumb from the FAQ's can help you figure out how much you need for a year, if you know how much you smoke:

5.How many plants should I grow?
Depending on the variety, you can expect 100 to 200 cigarettes per plant; 6 to 12 corona-size cigars per plant; 2 to 5 ounces of pipe tobacco per plant. Most tobacco requires about 3.75 sq. ft. in a deeply dug bed. In traditional row planting, it is spaced 3 feet within the row, with 4 feet between rows. The curing space required is about 0.5 to 1 sq. ft. per plant, hung in a single tier.

Link to the FAQ's: http://fairtradetobacco.com/links.php?ab_s=1

As DGBAMA said, start planning ahead for curing.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/26-Curing-tobacco

You will also need to control your pests in the patch.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/44-Insecticides
http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/46-Diseases-and-pests

Smokin Harley

Grow more than you think you can use yourself. You can always get rid of the rest in here . Even though most of us are growing similar varieties , theres the few that might definitely be swap list worthy.

chris m

Had mold due to the coffee grounds that I have in my mix . So now know can use same mix for tobacco as I use for all the vegetables . Starting tray with just the seed starting mix . So I was behind now very behind got to. First week of October before first frost

chris m

Well the first tray mold and thinking the others would do the same . Set up was first four from Bob in my mix in my planting tubes ( cardboard with a piece of coffee filter in the bottom with the mix in a throw away pan . That was the mold one . Two from Samson PR in storage jars and then three from north wood with solo cup with zip loc bag on top . So worrying I got a 72 cell starting tray and started them all over again on the 16th . Well the 5 from Samson and north wood have started 3-4 in each but you can see more coming up . And still have the starting tray with all 9 ,one per cell . So I should have plenty when it comes to planting out side . So the spot the tray started at was to cold . Well next year we will do a green house for everything . Maybe I will have everything I need by this fall ( seed ).for next year and start 8 weeks before last frost .so if it's like this year will start on the 18th of February 2016

chris m

I'm just hope that I will be able to harvest what I'm growing . Got till early October . But from what I have restarted it can get planted outside the 6th of June and with max of 75days growing most will not need that much time will be end of August . So cure out side then to the kiln . I don't know why I worry so much Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.